Full harddisk - half of it by "others"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Almufid, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Almufid macrumors newbie

Hey guys

First of all, I must say that I've tried looking through my folders with omnidisksweeper, and about I'm only using about 10-20 gb.
    With a 120 gb SSD, 57 gb is used up by others and I'm kinda running short on space, so could anyone please help figure out what to do in order to clean up my harddisk?

Attached Files:

2. damidget macrumors regular

Others is everything that is not in the specified Applications, Documents folders.
    So anything on your desktop, downloads will show up as others.

3. Almufid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you guys. I've googled it before posting here, but I just can't figure out what the 60 gb 'others' could be. I literally dont have any apps others than adobe pro and microsoft office.

Is there anyway to find locate the files precisely or solve this in some way?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Try "DiskWave".

It dispenses with a graphic-style display, and TELLS YOU the name and size of files and folders, from the largest to the smallest...

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It may be that that graphic is wrong. What happens is that data comes from the Spotlight index and if that index is corrupted the graphic you see there will be wrong. Run the command below in Terminal and wait for the reindex to complete then take another look at the storage graphic and see if it has changed.

The reindex can take an hour or so, so wait until it completes.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /