Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

startergo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
Has somebody tried Videoproc?
"Currently, VideoProc is the only program that utilizes full GPU acceleration throughout 4K Ultra HD video processing. Dubbed "Level-3 Hardware Acceleration", this technology allows the program to deal with 4K speedily and smoothly.
Currently, about 65% of video transcoding programs have recourse to GPU acceleration for video encoding; 24% others can achieve both GPU accelerated video decoding and video encoding; however, none but VideoProc can get at full utilization of hardware acceleration in video processing, coupled with video encoding and decoding. This technology is called Level-3 Hardware Acceleration."

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Have previously tested an earlier version. Speed was fantastic, but was not impressed with GPU encode quality. Visually reminded me of Sorenson Squeeze back in the day. Test the latest free trial. I'm waiting until after NAB 2019 for some new tools and updates to surface.

startergo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
Have previously tested an earlier version. Speed was fantastic, but was not impressed with GPU encode quality. Visually reminded me of Sorenson Squeeze back in the day. Test the latest free trial. I'm waiting until after NAB 2019 for some new tools and updates to surface.
Thanks for the feedback. There is a deal currently 20$ lifetime license and I was wondering if it is worth it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Has somebody tried Videoproc?
"Currently, VideoProc is the only program that utilizes full GPU acceleration throughout 4K Ultra HD video processing. Dubbed "Level-3 Hardware Acceleration", this technology allows the program to deal with 4K speedily and smoothly.
Currently, about 65% of video transcoding programs have recourse to GPU acceleration for video encoding; 24% others can achieve both GPU accelerated video decoding and video encoding; however, none but VideoProc can get at full utilization of hardware acceleration in video processing, coupled with video encoding and decoding. This technology is called Level-3 Hardware Acceleration."

On cMP? Which GPU you have that enabled?

From my experience, the video quality for low bitrate is horrible for QuickSync, acceptable for NVENC. I have't test AMF yet, so, no idea if that will be as good as NVENC.

But none of them have CPU (software) encoding quality (assume you know how to set the parameter properly).

But for reasonable high bitrate (e.g. 12000kbps for 4k video), I really can't tell the difference between QuickSync / NVENC / and Software encoding.

startergo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
On cMP? Which GPU you have that enabled?

From my experience, the video quality for low bitrate is horrible for QuickSync, acceptable for NVENC. I have't test AMF yet, so, no idea if that will be as good as NVENC.

But none of them have CPU (software) encoding quality (assume you know how to set the parameter properly).

But for reasonable high bitrate (e.g. 12000kbps for 4k video), I really can't tell the difference between QuickSync / NVENC / and Software encoding.
I haven't tested it yet. Just asking if somebody did. If it works well it may be a workaround for the decoding/encoding missing in 10.14.1....
System requirements:

● OS: Windows 7 or later; macOS 10.6 or later

● Intel CPU: 2nd-generaton Intel Core (2011 Sandy Bridge) or newer (The 2015 6th-gen Intel Core Skylake is the minimum requirement for HEVC encoding/decoding).

● Nvidia GPU: Kepler-based GPU (2012 GeForce GT 630) or newer (hardware accelerated HEVC transcoding raises the threshold to Nvidia Maxwel GM206 GPUs GTX 960/950).

● AMD: Radeon HD 7700 series (HD 7790 or newer)
video-processing-workflow.jpg

[doublepost=1553795437][/doublepost]
upload_2019-3-28_13-50-30.png

Last edited:
Reactions: foliovision

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I haven't tested it yet. Just asking if somebody did. If it works well it may be a workaround for the decoding/encoding missing in 10.14.1....
System requirements:

● OS: Windows 7 or later; macOS 10.6 or later

● Intel CPU: 2nd-generaton Intel Core (2011 Sandy Bridge) or newer (The 2015 6th-gen Intel Core Skylake is the minimum requirement for HEVC encoding/decoding).

● Nvidia GPU: Kepler-based GPU (2012 GeForce GT 630) or newer (hardware accelerated HEVC transcoding raises the threshold to Nvidia Maxwel GM206 GPUs GTX 960/950).

● AMD: Radeon HD 7700 series (HD 7790 or newer)
video-processing-workflow.jpg

[doublepost=1553795437][/doublepost] View attachment 829074

Then you can forget about it, up to this moment, there is no GPU hardware H264 / HEVC acceleration for cMP.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Attachments

• nvenc.jpg
    nvenc.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Reactions: Reindeer_Games

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Are you going to NAB this year?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Isn't NVENC/NVDEC supported under Windows 10, for both H264 and H265? (The OP did accept Windows.)

It will be ironic if the cMP continues to be a viable platform, but only when running Windows and Nvidia GPUs.

View attachment 829155

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

I assume OP want that in macOS because he mentioned that want to use this as work around for 10.14.1 or later macOS in post #5.

For Windows, I can confirm that's 100% working. I use my 1080Ti's NVENC a lot in Windows on cMP.

Reactions: Reindeer_Games
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.