Full internal hard drive for MBP, few questions about TM and stuff

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brayhite, Jul 30, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I got the message that my start up disk is nearly full and I need to delete some files. Blah. So I got have a few questions:

1. Regarding Time Machine, does saving backups do anything to affect how much of your hard drive is being used? I highly highly doubt it, but I wanted to ask just in case. I have TM set up with an external HD, but it hasn't been ran in nearly a month because I started getting those stupid messages about it being too full even though it's supposed to overwrite old backups. Anyway, if I can just rep-backup everything and free up some GBs of space, I'd rather do that.

2. Is it worth purchasing a larger internal HD for my MBP (Early 2008 model) or should I..

3. Use an external HD to keep files on?

I have an Airport Extreme BS, but accessing and saving files to/from the external HD via the AEBS takes a VERY long time. Plus, whether it's due to a piss poor set up or just the AEBS, it's not very reliable as far as my MBP staying connected to the AEBS at all times. I seem to lose connection in the middle of the night and day quite frequently, requiring a reset of my AEBS.

I have a fear of being somewhere with my MBP and needing to access something or just wanting to listen to a song or whathaveyou and not having it on my laptop already. I'd rather not carry my external HD wherever I go, but if I must, I suppose I will. I also don't want to have to rely on my AEBS connection when I'm at home either to access whatever files I have saved on it.

Thanks for any answers/suggestions.

2. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I made the decision to move my movies/shows to my external HD, considering it was 70+ GB of space. Now I have a question regarding iTunes..

I understand that iTunes makes a copy of everything if you have that setting checked (which I do). If I want to move some music to my external HD to keep on there, will iTunes recopy it when I play it from the external or will it keep whatever files I move there, there?

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

y don't you just copy your whole itunes folder to the external and then point itunes into its direction? If you use firewire 800 you won't have any issues heck even firewire 400 is efficient for most tasks

4. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I'd rather not have to rely on taking my external every where I go. The external is USB, as well, so I'd rather avoid spending money on a third external.

5. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to keep replying to my own thread, but I keep thinking of more questions and would rather keep them all here.

Anyway, is there a way to let iTunes only copy Music into a dedicated iTunes folder but not let it do that to Movies?

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

okay makes sense :)

y don't you create a seperate library for the music and the movies? That way you could have both worlds and then just switch between them pressing the option key on itunes startup