Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quarksbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hi Guys, we have a Linux computer running lots of specialty software and we wanted to make a complete, fully restorable to "as it was before & fully operational" back up of entire linux PC in case if the SDD crashes. Linux computer only has 1 SDD to backing up would only be doing 1 full drive back up (system and all files) to a portable USB SDD backup drive. Thanks all!!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Hi Guys, we have a Linux computer running lots of specialty software and we wanted to make a complete, fully restorable to "as it was before & fully operational" back up of entire linux PC in case if the SDD crashes. Linux computer only has 1 SDD to backing up would only be doing 1 full drive back up (system and all files) to a portable USB SDD backup drive. Thanks all!!
I would like to know the answer too. When I looked a few years ago Linux did not have support for bootable backups like Mac has (CCC, SuperDuper).

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
You could also do a full SSD image with True Image or Clonezilla. I used both True Image is easer and clone villa is free

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Use rsync if you want to back up.

If you want a clone (very inefficient way of backing up files since its copying even the empty space) you can use the dd command like mentioned or my preference would be the cat command but to each their own. I prefer cat because its easier and faster.

ex. from root ' cat /dev/sda > /dev/sdc '

It is highly inadvisable to use dd or cat for a raw data dump of a live filesystem. You need to unmount the drives to prevent data manipulation while its being cloned. This is why cloning software has you make a bootable device. We aren't moving files we are moving raw data.

I would just use a live usb of your distro of choice. Verify the drive locations and that they are unmounted. Run the above command. Verify an identical backup using md5sum command on the partitions and/or boot from the clone to verify it works.

When the time comes to use the clone do the same thing except swap the drive paths in the cat command. Use gparted or resize2fs command on the new SSD to extend the primary partition if the new SSD is bigger then the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.