Full list of files that are delivered with a new Macbook can I delete?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacRumors' FAN, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MacRumors' FAN macrumors regular

---> My English is bad, I'm sorry
    Dear Friends,
    I love MacRumors: people here (especially GGJstudios) are incredibly ready to answer questions that anyone could.

So, I have a question and since 1 year nobody has wanted to help me: Macs (mine is a Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 15") all have at the beginning you have bought them many files (in Macintosh HD section in the File Manager); so I would to discover the full list of things that could be placed on trash (I know that before empty the trash you are be sure that OS X (I have its last version) works but it's incredibly boring to do that each time (for example yesterday I removed some bad typefaces but OS X hasn't worked properly aftet removing them.
    Best Regards

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

If your question is "what files that are delivered with a new Macbook can I delete" I would say "none that are worth the trouble that may result by trying to save a few MB"

3. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

That was my question! :)
    I don't understand why I shouldn't delete anything (for example the utility compressor of default can be replaced by "The Unarchiver".

----------

...or maybe Safari can be replaced by a much better Browser Web). So I would like to know the full list of things that can be deleted.

----------

:)

4. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

So is it useless deleting files only to save few MB?

5. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe for this question is impossible to find an answer...

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

As Tumbleweed said, it's not really worth the bother of deciding what you can, or can not, delete just to save a few MB of hard drive space.

You say that you might like to use a different browser? Well, Safari only takes up 44MB of disc space, so just download another browser and leave Safari alone. You never know when you might want to use it again.

7. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

Saving MB is important when Macbook has few memory

8. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11171082#post11171082
    Yesterday this article (written by you many years ago) helped me so much.
    Do you know what files could be removed without damaging the Mac?

----------

I know that the trash should be empty only after verifing that the Mac works properly, but it's boring doing this each time.

----------

Just read the other article you've told me to read. Very useful, but it tells me things that I already know.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Beyond the steps listed in my last link, I would not recommend deleting anything on your Mac. There is not a definitive list of things that you can delete safely, and unless you know what you're doing and know what specific files are used for, it is not safe to delete more than what was described in my last link. If you want to free up more space, move some user files to an external drive.

10. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

I give you an example: yesterday I deleted typefaces that system needed; but only after 2 hours I realized that system didn't work properly... Is there a way to know if deleting something could damage the system before deleting that?

----------

Ok, I've Understood, can you tell me why a list doesn't exist?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not going to save that much space by deleting fonts, and since the system does require some fonts (there is not a definitive list of which ones to function properly), it's best to leave those alone.
    It's probably because Apple doesn't want users mucking around with the system when they aren't technically advanced enough to understand fully what they're doing. The problems that can be created are far worse then the problem of having a limited amount of free disk space.

12. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

You are the best!
    Thank you for your answers!
    P.S.: I will follow the steps of your article to save MB.
    Now I would like to know a last (but simple) thing: is there a replacement of the default trash can? In other words, an app (also that I have to purchase) that works better than the default?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the Trash functionality is a part of OS X, and cannot be replaced by a third-party app. What is it that you want the Trash to do, that it is not already doing?

14. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

However, I use as total replacement Path Finder and not the default; it seems Path Finder has another trash can. I hate that there is a trash can on the dock and a trash can on the desktop (path finder's desktop). Do you have a suggestion unless it's impossible removing from the dock the trash can that after logging it is again on the dock?

15. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

Mine was just a question (the last actually) to know more about OS X.

16. MacRumors' FAN thread starter macrumors regular

Solved thanxs to "ggjstudios"

For GGJstudios
    It seems you know everything about OS X; I am in fact glad to have seen on Internet a person like you!
    Best regards
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

18. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Yes it is useless. Heres why.
    You won't save much space. So If you really need that space this will be a temporary measure and you'll need to get extra space soon anyway (by buying another external disk.)
    Or If you don't need that space because you have enough anyway, then you don't need to delete.
    Also, this is very risky. The risk isn't worth postponing buying a new disk by a few days, or getting extra space you don't need.

There is a phrase you may have heard which definitely applies in this case

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"