Full name in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KadMac, Apr 22, 2010.

1. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

Hi Everyone,

I am new to a mac and still trying to learn the basics. When I first got my Macbook Pro I included my Apple ID during setup. I assume this is why my personal information seems to be included in the Mac. I really really don't like having my personal information on the computer except in iTunes were it is required when you purchase anything.

It makes me nervous because of security issues when my name is on the computer in so many places. I went into Accounts and change my account name and also sharing. But, it seems like my personal information is still on the computer because I can see it popping up now and then. Is there a way I can completely remove this? When I had my PC I never included any of my personal information because I never want it compromised. Do I need to reformat my new mac to get all the Apple ID stuff off?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

If your name is at-risk information, you really need to consider getting a secured laptop, which you should already know to do when your mobile security is that critical. What are you even doing on iTunes? You should not be running any unsecured network services. When you are this much at-risk, you don't have a personal computer. You are assigned a secured terminal that requires an access card, or you don't have a laptop. I hope that you're not one of those who leaves sensitive information on the subway car!

Regardless, my copy of OS X doesn't seem to have this potential problem. OS X identifies me by the one-word name that I use for my remote access services. Maybe you should consider making a new user account and inputting different information next time, and talk to your IT supervisor about the risks of using a personal computer when your security is this much at-risk. It doesn't sound like you have quite understood the risks, or you are blowing the issue way out of proportion.

I await the information leak next week when someone finds your laptop on the subway with the documents on it for something that wasn't supposed to be made public.

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Where is your personal information popping up? In your web browser?

4. Quint macrumors member

Check Applications/Address Book
    Apple software uses the info on the 'Me' card to personalize your experience.

5. KadMac thread starter macrumors regular

KadMac

That fixed it up. Thank you so much!