Full of problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dagless, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought my iPod around a month ago and at first it was a great little machine. I was blown away by how much it replaced my need for a laptop to compliment my iMac.

But 3 main things are bugging the hell out of me

1) iTunes capacity. I wish it would decide how much space my music is taking up. Some days its 22gb, others its 28gb and rarely its 31gb. The amount depends on whether I select the option to prefer SD videos (I have no HD videos), or after I've performed a sync.
    It's very annoying too because I literally have no idea how much free space is on my iPod. Sometimes when there is 8gb free it'll tell me that I'm out of space and asks if it can delete photos!

2) Video listings. Another feature-ruining problem. I sync various series from 5 TV shows, I load up the video app and it's lumbered them all under one show and somehow breaks the artwork/episode numbers. It also takes a while to even load up the video app and navigating is broke too (takes ages to scroll through and select anything. Takes up to a minute to even load a video!).

I never had this problem on my 3 year old iPod 5G. So something is up with this iPod.

3)Crashing! All the time. Most recent ones include accepting the new terms on the Gamecenter app, sending an email and trying to use Genius on a song.

Of course I've contacted Apple with these issues. I did mention the capacity one a month ago when I bought the iPod but they didn't fix it in the iTunes update (apparently it has affected others too).

It's making me dislike my little toy.

PS. I'm tempted to reset to factory settings. If I do this will I lose my save data in games, emails, documents etc? Or will it ask if I can restore my settings from one of those backups iTunes is keen on making?

2. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

By the suggestive thread title, I was very close to jumping in and making a sarcastic ass remark ;). But legitimate non-troll thread here :p

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry to disappoint :p.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

1) Thats all a problem with your settings for your itunes sync. Click on you r device and look at all the tabs and check your sync settings.

2) No idea

3) Reset it. this may solve problem 2 as well. Do an itunes backup before you reset. Yes, it will completely restore your ipod but if you back up you will not lose any of your data.

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

No it's nothing to do with that. When it connects it says 28gb, whenever I change any option it changes a random size. So say I tell it to not sync HD video (which I don't have) my music capacity will randomly select 22, 28 and 31gb.
    I don't know how much space my music is taking up so I have no idea what I can then put on my iPod without getting errors.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Sounds more like iOS and itunes problem than iPod touch issues to me.

Also, last time I checked 5G iPod did not have any game centers. My point is 5G ipod and iPod touch are very different devices.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Gotcha. Then I would suggest formatting.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

^ I'll give that a try when I'm next in OSX. I tried removing all my videos off it and resyncing but that was no help, but yea hopefully a restore will fix it all.

The point I was making there was everything is labelled and tagged correctly. Shows are organised by Show, series then episode on my 5G ipod. On my iPod touch multiple shows somehow get bundled under one and artwork+labels are set to 0 or dropped entirely.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Did a format+restore last night - the problem persists. It took me 12 hours to sync (128kbps music conversion) too, so you can imagine my frustration!

Hopefully I won't have to call up for a replacement.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Can't be. It's an Apple product, and all Apple products "just work". By definition. You're probably just holding it wrong.

Apple is entering the Microsoft phase: They are no longer "the underdog", but a producer of consumer goods for the masses, hiding behind a shiny brand logo and image. But the more people use Apple products, the more we will hear about their shortcomings and faults and Apple will finally have to deal with criticism instead of just ignoring it as they used to.

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

LOL do you ever come to a thread to contribute, or just always bash? It get's old bro....

OP, maybe take it to the store, show them th eissue on their machines, see if they come up with something. Maybe the OS has an issue somewhere. I notice this issue too, the fluctuatin in iTunes w/ my iP4 when selecting and deselecting options, but never is the amount off!

12. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

1 )Try reinstalling iTunes.
    Restore iPod.
    Treat everything as though it was new lols.

2) Right-click the show in iTunes
    Click Get Info
    Change the details into such a way you want it to be in.

3)Restoring normally works.
    Maybe you should kill your background apps more often?

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I always do before a sync.

Just spent an hour this morning experimenting with it. It seems if I sync one show then everything is displayed fine. Add more than 1 TV show and that's when it breaks.

Oh and...
    4) I was moving icons around whilst a game downloaded. I don't know what happening but it created a "ghost" app which acted like a spacer for my app layout. Soon after that it completely froze up and crashed. I restarted it and all my folders had vanished (4 well organised pages became a messy 8 pages :rolleyes:). I wonder if I corrupted something which is why my videos are now messed up? Music and photos are fine, though.