Resolved Full paid T-mobile iphone6s doesn't work with AT&T LTE network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hyspace, Sep 26, 2015.

1. hyspace, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

hyspace macrumors newbie

hyspace

I pre-ordered an iPhone 6s (A1688 T-mobile version, full paid) and i got it today. I'm using ATT as my carrier, but I heard that all full paid version is unlocked, so I brought an T-mobile version for convenience(no information required during order process). The T-mobile version iphone6s(A1688) supports most of band that ATT version(A1633) has, except LTE band 30.

After putting my ATT sim card into my new iPhone, the calling and messaging works fine, so it should be true that full paid phones are unlocked(If it is locked, I should never made a call?). But cellular data doesn't work. It shows 4G on top left of phone, but actually disconnected form internet. Also, the APN setting menu can not be found in the Settings app. After imported the profile of ATT network from unlockit.co.nz(changed APN setting this way), finally I can access internet with 4G. LTE doesn't work there, but I can access LTE network using my friend's iPhone 6, so the problem is on the phone not the coverage of LTE network or my ATT account.

It is OK just not having LTE, 4G is enough for me, but Personal Hotspot is not working either. I really need this. In the cellular settings, it says setup your personal hotspot by contacting your carrier. But I can use Personal Hotspot on my old iPhone, so the problem is for sure on the phone not my account. If this problem can not be solved, I have to return it to apple store and buy an new ATT version. I'm a student and the nearest apple store is somehow far away form my home, and I'm not sure if apple can exchange my T-mobile iPhone6s with an ATT iPhone6s.

Could any one give me some advice for this?

Update:
    Finally ATT solved my problem. It updated my ICCID and IMEI information then everything works.

Thank you for all your replies.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It sounds like this is an APN settings update. I realize you manually entered somethings. I would try completely restoring the phone and setting it up with the ATT sim already inside of it.

3. hyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

hyspace

Thanks for replying but no, It is not. I have inserted ATT sim before the first time I turn the phone on, and cellular data was already not working. After realizing that cellular data is not working, I tried to set APN settings but failed, since no such setting appears in the menu(but my friends' iphone has that menu). After all of that, I imported the profile to set up APN.

4. hyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

hyspace

I will go to AT&T and T-Mobile store tomorrow to see if they could help, but I really doubt if they can solve my problem.

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Your service is with at&t right? why couldn't they help? Best guess they give you a new sim.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't doubt, for a second, that att can help you something is likely not apportioned right. The phone has all the hardware to work for you. For some reason it isn't. Apple wouldn't all of the sudden completely backpedal on the work they've done making a universally usable phone.

7. hyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

hyspace

I agree with your guess. I will be glad if that can fix the problem.

8. hyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

hyspace

Yeah the phone has all the hardware to work for me. That's why I brought an T-mobile iPhone, but I think this time the carriers won, I failed to make an unlocked, contract free T-mobile iPhone work with ATT's network. If the phone is locked, I would be better since I have only one choice - return the phone. But now, it somehow works(4G data and calls), but not fully works. I don't know what's wrong with it.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I really think this is a carrier setting not being applied correctly. It could be as simple as att needing to enter your imei manually and making sure everything is set on your account. Usually the beauty with sims is this all works itself out in its own. But sometimes it doesn't.

I just read anthrax where the person (also att) wasn't able to receive calls. He's able to make calls and texts but when someone dials his number they get a disconnected dial tone. Stuff happens. I'm betting att fixes things for you.

10. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

This might work for you, connect the iPhone 6s to iTunes do a restore and leave it connected you should get a Carrier settings update. Also make sure you have the AT&T sim installed

11. hyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

hyspace

Thank you, I hope AT&T could fix it too.

12. hyspace thread starter macrumors newbie

hyspace

I tried but no carrier settings update dialog appears. I have AT&T 21.0.1, maybe already the newest version.

13. waynester macrumors newbie

Wow... I also bought the tmobile iphone 6s and i actually have tmobile. I was curious and put my wife's sim card from att iphone 6 in and it showed att signal and lte band.. Didn't actually try going into website. ill try later today...

14. xystudioo macrumors newbie

Hey hy,

I got same problem yesterday, I called AT&T and a person resolved my issue by having the phone's IMEI and ICCID. I guess it an Att problem and you have to activate LTE on your new phone by calling them.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, this issue is most definitely a provisioning problem on AT&T's end. Once it's squared away on your account though, the phone shouldn't have any trouble getting service.

16. Greg M macrumors 6502

I was told at the Apple store that any fully paid for iPhone 6s/6s+ will work on any network. The key is to not put your sim in it before setup in iTunes. iTunes will see it as a fully paid iPhone and unlock it. Just repeating what I was told.

17. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

Call AT&T. I got T-Mobile version last year, it also showed 4G but doesn't connect at all. Ringed them up on another phone, gave them the IMEI number, was told to restart and everything started working.

18. unclemax macrumors regular

I had a similar problem to OP in 2012, when I was using my UK bought iPhone 4S with AT&T in the US. Spec-wise it was supposed to work after just swapping the SIM, however I also had to download a profile from a 3rd party website to get the Internet working. I don't know why or would resetting the phone with AT&T SIM solve the issue, but my phone was definitely bought unlocked.

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If you paid full price device only from Apple the iPhone is unlocked. AT&T needs to push a provisioning profile to your phone. Call AT&T customer service and give them your IMEI number then reboot your iPhone. Everything will work.