Carrier Full price AT&T iPhone 6 Plus, is it unlocked or?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nardow12, Sep 19, 2014.

1. nardow12 macrumors newbie

I'm with T-Mobile but the Apple store did not get ANY T-Mobile 6 Plus, and they were sold out of the Verizon (unlocked GSM) ones in the color I want, so I got a reservation for an AT&T iPhone 6 Plus and I will pay the full price upfront no contract.

I searched around the forum a little bit and got a little confused, since there are two stories going around.

1. Any AT&T iPhone purchased from the Apple store full price are unlocked.

2. The AT&T iPhone, even purchased full price from Apple, are still locked but can be unlocked through AT&T website.

Does anyone know which of these two claims are correct?

2. nardow12 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. fable macrumors newbie

Same here. There have been too many false reports about the ATT ip6 being unlocked or not when bought device only from the Apple Store so extra confirmations would be nice. Paranoia!

4. nardow12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have bought a Verizon or T-Mobile one if I had the option, but no, so I can only get ATT or no iPhone 6 Plus for me (don't even mention Sprint I will never buy their phone)

I have seen the thread you posted above saying it's unlocked, and also another thread saying the ATT phone is locked (although the OP did not mention it's full price or not)

5. fable macrumors newbie

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding. I said the VZW phone is unlocked. I am only getting the info for the ATT phone being unlocked when bought device only from Apple Store from the OP. I don't have one myself. Thus looking for a couple more reports of this being true.

6. nardow12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Verizon phone has to be unlocked to other GSM carriers and I think that's been the case for the last couple of years.

With the ATT phones, there were reports of the full price ATT 5 and 5S being 'unlocked' as long as you:
    1. Purchase it at full price (This is a must)
    2. Does not activate it with the ATT Sim card it came with (Not sure about this, but I would not activate the phone with the ATT sim card)
    3. Restore via iTunes and get unlocked message (Again, not sure about this part)

I'm just really confused at this point about the ATT phones, and not much info about it being unlocked or not as of yet, the T-Mo ones are confirmed to be unlocked by a couple of people :eek:

7. fable macrumors newbie

I can personally confirm that if you buy the ATT phone at an Apple Store full price but you link it to your ATT account as you are buying it (with the last 4 of your social and all that), then your phone will be LOCKED.

8. nardow12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I don't have an ATT account (T-Mo, but they don't have T-Mo or VZN ones when it was my turn) so that change my situation a little bit....this is getting more confusing by the minute :rolleyes:

9. importraverxx macrumors regular

I can confirmed, I paid full price and it is not unlocked. I submit an unlock request through ATT and was rejected said need to complete service contract. I called 611 and spoke to a manager there and he said to check with Apple to see if the phone is unlocked, IF NOT, the phone has to be on the account for 60 days before they would unlock it. So that sounds like a fail?

10. nardow12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds very different compared to the 5 and 5S situation, did you have the iPhone linked to your ATT account (if you have one) or activated with an ATT SIM card?

11. importraverxx macrumors regular

When you buy the phone you do have to enter your ATT account info like phone number and last 4 social. When i got the phone, i swapped to a Tmobile sim b4 i turn on the first time. But when it turned on, it will say "Invalid Sim"

12. IpadMania macrumors regular

So the ATT model requires a social/phone number in order to buy the full price phone? It also sounds like it is not unlocked out of the box if you pay full price. FAILLLLLLL

13. fable macrumors newbie

Buy it full price device only from the Apple Store. No socials, no locking, no problems.

14. IpadMania macrumors regular

Awesome, so just don't provide info and it will be unlocked