Full price, no contract iPhone 4 purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gahau, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Gahau macrumors regular

I need someone to clarify for me...
    I am about to purchase a iPhone 4 full retail price $599 with no contract...
    Well if I am not on a contract with Att will my phone be unlocked?
    Or will I have to do this myself?
    If so is there any current solution for tmobile users?
    I read many rumors that the phone was coming to tmobile... But nothing official should wait some more?

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Contract or not, any iPhone sold in the US will be locked to AT&T.

3. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup. When it's released in Canada they will be sold unlocked directly through Apple so buying one from Canada might be an option.

4. svnty6rs3 macrumors newbie

i would suggest purchasing a brand new one on ebay from someone overseas maybe in europe where they are already selling them unlocked.

5. Gahau thread starter macrumors regular

Att = communist?
    What the hell what the point on being without contract lol
    I am not gonna pay 1000+ for the phone so eBay is out...
    Man... Are iPhone available in Canada already?
    What do I have to do? Call a Canadian apple so and ask them "aboote" and iPhone heh? LOL
    Wow... Man att is tyrant

6. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Well if someone had a contract with AT&T already, and lost their other phone, or their iPhone and needed a replacement, the $599 option would be good for them.

7. Gahau thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense...
    BUT if I am gonna pay full retail with no subsidy why the heck do I have to suffer Att ruling?
    If the only person that is gonna pay for the phone is me, the whole phone is mine I should not be locked down to Att!
    Anyway I called apple store over Canada aboote the iPhone...
    Yup I'll buy them from them... That stupid that have to jump hoop and loop to get away from tyranny.
    I asked him if I can buy it fromm them... He was like... Why not LOL we sell 3GS unlocked for 550 nothing special aboote the iPhone 4, we w I'll sell it unlock!!!!
    That's dumb... I am exporting my business to Canada...
    Muahahha Att can kiss my butt!

8. coasterider macrumors regular

What are you trying to do? Even if you get a fully unlocked iPhone 4 the only 3G network you can use it on is ATT.

9. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

Some of us are fine on edge.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'll be doing the same. I bought my unlocked iPhone 3G in Europe from T-mobile and I'm really looking forward to an unlocked iPhone 4. Cool to know I can just drive across the border and pick it up.

When is it going to be available in Canada?

11. naths macrumors 6502

find a member in the UK who u might know?...and trust obviously and get them to purchase one sim-free(no contract) and get them to post it to you...

12. Nautigar macrumors regular

I live in Germany where the iPhone is only sold with a T-Mobile contract, and SIM-locked to T-Mobile.

In France and Great Britain, however, they are sold unlocked and without a contract. If you happen to know someone there, you can order the phone with your regular US-Apple-Store-Account, just visit store.apple.com/fr or store.apple.com/uk. The phone will be billed to your account, the ONLY thing you need to do is supply an address within France or the UK, respectively.

Prices in UK: £499/£599
    Prices in FR: 629€/739 €

I did the same thing, and my friends from the UK just forwarded the parcel to me, should be here next week.

13. Nautigar macrumors regular

Fortunately, this is not the case in Germany/Europe ...

14. Gahau thread starter macrumors regular

Well here is the thing if I buy it from france, whitch I am from...
    I will pay around 630*1.25... plus ship...
    I think I am just gonna get it from Canada I don't think I'll need to drive there I hope apple Canada can ship to us address

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Every Apple from a specific country doesn't ship to addresses outside that country. You will either have to go and pick up one from there yourself or as proposed by other posters ship it to a friend of yours who in turn ships it to you.

It will be more cost effective to buy it from Canada but I suspect it will be very difficult when it is first launched there to get a hold of one.