Full Price? Will the phone be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TXCraig, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

So they started selling unlocked iPhones a while back at the full retail price. If I pay 649.00 bucks for the phone, does it come unlocked?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Whether or not a phone is unlocked does not depend on how much you pay for it, it depends on if the phone you pay for is unlocked. If the unlocked model is available and you buy it, it will be unlocked. If the unlocked model is not available and you buy a locked model, but for whatever reason pay beyond what the locked model costs, it still will not be unlocked.

3. The General macrumors 601

I work at an Apple store, and while I don't have direct experience with this, the training material suggests that AT&T phones sold at full price unlock themselves upon activation. The reason why someone would want to buy an AT&T phone at full price is if they plan on using it on AT&T but need it unlocked for some reason. That way they don't have to go buy a SIM card and all that. AT&T phones come with SIM cards.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The unlocked phones are sold at apple, not AT&T. A full price phone bought at AT&T is locked, unless it says otherwise.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's something I hope they offer. I don't want to have to buy two iPhones again.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap you are correct.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Given that the UK Apple Store site says that the 4S begins at £499, it's safe to assume that Apple is going to continue selling unlocked iPhones here in the UK.

8. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Mostly yes or else the rates would be much lower than those.