Full Restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gco212, Oct 13, 2010.

1. gco212 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I wanted to do a full restore as my phone is suffering a bit on 4.1 and hasn't had a full restore in a couple of years. I searched, but all the guides were about two years old and I was wondering if anything had changed. Does anyone know of a good guide for this, particularly saving my contacts and thus my ability to use aptbackup to restore those files.

Thanks a lot.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not much have change, itunes will backup your contacts, SMS and pics and such, and APTgetbackup will backup your JB apps. Them use each for their respective restores ;)

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Run, don't walk, away from AptBackup. It is evil. Use PkgBackup instead.

S-

4. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

What's happened to 'apt backup'? It used to be the backup prgm to go to & ive used it a couple of times successfully.

Is it just outdated for today's FW or was I just lucky it worked for me?

I'll be going to 'pkgbackup' based on recommendations here but I was just curious...

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

I've just seen a few threads about massive problems associated with it. It might work fine, but even one thread is enough to make me back away slowly.

6. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

Also, make sure you back up immediately before a restore, or you might never see your data again.

7. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I backed up with PkgBackup and it won't restore so i'd write down everything you have in case this happens to you, luckily i did.

8. gco212 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, but how do I move my contacts on to the phone. I don't want to set it up as my old phone because, as I understand it, that basically is just the same as restoring to backup. Am I mistaken, or is moving the contacts from phone to phone easy enough.