Full screen ads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Gav2k, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

getting full screen adds all day long what gives.

iPhone X - latest beta

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Can you take a screen shot of the offending advert? It helps @WildCowboy and his team to identify and remove it from the site.

3. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Another BestBuy full screen ad has returned. I think I’ve been reporting these for over a year now (see other thread) but they seem to return monthly.

Attached Files:

5. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Does this happen to you all no matter if you're using a mobile carrier or a residential service for internet?

6. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

When I’m in the u.k it was constantly happening on both mobile and residential.

Bk in Iceland and no issue

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m having this issue as well... iPhone X no beta

8. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

BestBuy sucks. I never buy from them because there online ad presents both video, audio and popups are so annoying.

9. JohnApples macrumors 65816

@WildCowboy Video ads have taken over the site, as they keep auto-playing and take up the entire screen once they start. At first I thought i kept accidentally tapping on them, but I was just in the middle of reading an article and suddenly my entire screen is filled with the ad playing (see screenshot).

Attached Files:

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I have not seen that specific one, but will try to track it down.

General note: We are allowing occasional video ads, but they should be fairly limited. I will talk to our ad people to make sure the ones we do run are behaving properly, and appreciate the feedback to help bring attention to those that might be causing problems.

11. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

Ads on an iPad (iPad Pro 9.7) are blocking the second and third article on the front page today, March 29th. It says to keep scrolling but doesn’t help. No way to read the top of the article, but just the second and third from the top.

12. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

More full screen adds today!!

Attached Files:

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

With respect, why are you allowing video ads? They are infuriating.

I don't see them here - but do stumble over them on some news sites I visit; they are an absolute nuisance, and prevent you from viewing what you have come to that site to view.

If I had a choice in the matter, I'd outlaw them completely.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

To put it simply, they pay very well and we need to eat.

I agree they can be nuisances, which is why we're trying to balance things and minimize their impact, particularly on our most loyal readers. Financial contributors to the site can avoid nearly all ads, while regular logged-in users frequently have limits on some of the more intrusive ads (only see them once per day or not all). Random users coming in from Google searches or the like may be subject to more ads than others.

We don't *want* our ads to be intrusive, so we and our ad providers try hard to keep that in mind, using interscroller types that you can just scroll past to keep reading or other splashes that can be easily dismissed. We don't do obnoxious ones with timers or ones that persistently cover up valuable screen real estate.

As always, we can't vet every single ad that appears, particularly with geotargeting making it difficult for us to even know what ads are being served to a user somewhere else in the world. Sometimes a misbehaving ad does sneak through, and in those cases we want to hear about it with screenshots and destination links so we can figure out what the problem is and get rid of it.

15. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

ad.gif

Wasn't sure where else to post this; I got a full-ish screen ad today. It seems the content of the ad didn't actually load, so it was a huge white box that covered up some of the front page or floated above it depending on how zoomed in my browser was.

I copied the page's source and can send it upon request, but the MR forum post character limit is about 182,000 characters too short.

The relevant parts might be the ID of the container:
    HTML:
    id="google_ads_iframe_/4585/ns.macrumors/homepage_1__container__"
    Or this data property:
    Code:
    data-integralas-id-b9d17ded-567c-ca22-428b-c6209ab93ba6

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Thanks, I'll ping our ad people about the issue.