Full screen apps translucency

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by roland.g, Oct 1, 2014.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I noticed in Yosemite that Mail looked like it had a pale pink/sand color behind the mailbox source column and around message boxes in the conversation view pane. I thought that was odd and tried to change the color somewhere but there wasn't a preference for it. Mail was set to full screen.

Then I changed mail out of full screen to windowed mode and moved it to a desktop with the old space background from pre Mavericks. Then I went full screen again. Now, wherever the pink/sand color was was now a bluish tint.

Apparently full screen apps retain a level of translucency, borrowing their background color from the desktop that was behind them prior to going full screen.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Yep. ;-)

3. leman macrumors G3

Just think of it like this: full-screen apps are essentially their own virtual screens. So behind them, there is the desktop wallpaper.

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Except for the fact that once they are full screen, they no longer really belong to that desktop. I suppose that is where they would go when you de-full screen them, but if you want an app to look a certain way or not look a certain way, you then have the added task of moving it to an appropriate desktop prior to making it full screen.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

The translucency doesn’t make complete sense anyway. For instance, the popup that appears when you change the volume has this slight colour tone as well, even when a white window is underneath it. The translucency isn’t just there to establish a visual hierarchy, but also to personalise the look of your OS, based on your wallpaper.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

not anymore

[​IMG]

7. KALLT macrumors 601

I’m very happy with that. :)