Full Screen Apps with dual monitors??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tanker5, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tanker5 macrumors member

I just downloaded Lion, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried opening 2 separate full screen apps on separate monitors at the same time (for example, Safari in full screen mode on one monitor, and iPhoto on a separate monitor also in full screen mode at the same time). Is this possible? Can anyone help me out??

Much appreciated.

2. ChristianJapan, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Just tried ... when making Safari full screen it take both screens; actually make the iPad-gray pattern on the second screen while showing the browser on the other.
    Used Mail as second app; same way: second screen is useless.

But that don't come by surprise: was discussed already before ... still don't like it though

CONCLUSION after more playing: Full screen nice on the MBA when solo. But on my iMac with secondary ACD it will not be used

3. bards macrumors newbie

This is insane....I just ordered a new mac-mini to drive my existing 24" Dells.

Am I right in assuming that I can run apps on the two monitors at the same time but just not in 'full-screen' mode ?????????

4. levo macrumors newbie

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I love Full Screen, but it does not play well with multiple monitors. I sometimes move a document or spreadsheet to the secondary screen while composing an email and copy / paste or just refer to it. With Lion as soon as you go into full screen the secondary monitor just becomes a paperweight. It would be nice if they would just change the background to indicate you are in full screen mode, but leave what ever windows you have on the secondary monitor showing.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It would be nice if they limit FullScreen just on the screen the user decide to press the icon. And keep the other screen as separate desktop space.
    All the daisy chain of screen with Thunderbolt and than that.

To be clear: I like lion sofar and also the fullscreen itself. But the implementation should be more thought about. It looks cheap done and not very Apple-ish. Or I just not understood yet.

7. njvan macrumors member

I'm hoping Apple brings better dual-monitor support to 10.7.1. It would be great to have options like locking a particular app in the second monitor.

8. Sapphire08 macrumors member

Sapphire08

Yep - I have to agree - more functionality for the dual monitors would be much appreciated - full apps on one and normal desktop on the other would be brilliant ;)

9. williamhtrice macrumors newbie

10. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

Let me just say, Pro apps that can make windows such as logic pro and the equalizer and other such things can work in full screen more. they can take up the space of other monitors easily. while apps such as safari don't yet. i'm sure in future bug releases you'll be able to pull off a tab and it will open in an unused monitor. iTunes also has the ability to use multiple windows in full screen. but those are the only two I'm aware of. logic pro must have this ability eventually, and the same thing with aputure.
    I think this functionality will improve with time and updates, but right not apple was focused on the majority of their users; people who use only one screen. and iCloud, for that matter.

there are a lot of things to address and this is one of them. i'm sure apple won't forget it.