Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
i'm sure no ones asked this question so here it goes

i currently have macbook connected to external monitor and selected it as default monitor, ive also set external as default full screen

Question, Is there a way i can put external screen on full screen (Itunes vis,Quicktimes film, and still have use of say macbook screen to go on net etc

atm both screens show black and over the task.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
There's no way that I know of. When you go "full screen" the other monitor will fade to black I usually just maximize the window as much as possible (and hide the dock if necessary). It gets you pretty much the same effect.
If anyone has the answer though I'm all ears.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Can't you drag the title bar for Quicktime to your external then Command+F?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
open a movie within QuickTime Player and present the movie (shift-command-F) and untick "Show on all displays". this will let you see apps open on the MacBook screen but as soon as you start using them the movie exits full screen.

VLC doesnt show black on the MacBook screen when you watch a movie fullscreen but as soon as your start using apps on the MacBook screen the dock and menu bar show on the external screen. i guess you could hide the dock but the menu bar will always be there until you command tab to VLC or click the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.