Full screen in virtual box

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Geoff., Jun 18, 2009.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Anyone know how to get full screen in virtual box ? Full screen mode just shows black around the tiny display of the guest OS.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is the resolution of your guest lower than the full resolution of your display?

3. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Heres a screenshot

[​IMG]

And if i go to full screen mode it just gets rid of the dock and finder bar and shows black instead of white

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What is the resolution of the guest system and are the VirtualBox tools installed?

5. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Im half way there i have mounted the guest addictions image but I cant seem to get the package installed. It needs to be installed in the terminal and when i try to get root access by typing su root it asks for my password and then when i type it it says 'Sorry'

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you try increasing the resolution of the guest operating system then? The VirtualBox tools should auto-mount a MSI/Win32 installer. I don't see why it would need you to use Terminal.

7. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Yeah tryed it. I can get it real small. Mediumish ( doesnt fit the screen its a few inches off but its usabale ) Too big ( cant see taskbar ) and wayyyy to big. Cant get it just right :(

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You are probably going to need to have the VirtualBox tools installed to get the resolution just right and auto-scaling to screen.

Windows should support one notch short of the full display resolution in 4:3.

9. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

10. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

11. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I recently had to do this to run ubuntu in virtualbox. You have to got to the devices menu at the top and mount a guest addtions cd. there is some other stuff I don't remember exactly how to do. I would youtube it or google it. In the end it will cause your guest OS to auto scale the resolution based on how big the window it is in is.

12. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

After you start VirtualBox, but before you start the guest OS you see the hardware details for this Guest.

Click on CD/DVD ROM and choose ISO Image.

If you now boot up the guest you will need to open the CD-drive in Explorer and here you find the guest additions.

Revert the processes once you are finished.

13. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

14. dsiew81 macrumors member

Switching between full-screen and a window is done by host key + F. By default, VB has left Cmd as the host key. I believe this short cut might only be available after you install the "Guest Additions", which you have seemingly done. Note, however, that full-screen VB allows you to move your mouse to the top of the screen and access the OS X menu bar. Annoyance or lifesaver, it's up to you.