Full-screen mode sucks with multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HoosierInFL, Jul 22, 2011.

1. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

When I put an app into full-screen mode, it hides all the apps I have running on other monitors. I can only see the wallpaper on those screens. It only shows the app on the main monitor. That's a huge pain.

2. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Send some feedback to Apple, they an easily fix it in a patch.

3. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Been that way since DP. Let Apple know your displeasure and maybe offer up some ideas.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm hoping this is a side-burner issue that they've been planning on addressing in one of the first point updates.

I really like watching the news on my MBP screen (full screen) while surfing the web on my external. :(

Other than that, Lion has been fantastic the few weeks I've been using it. :)

5. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

I believe that Apple will make an update where apps that use more then one monitor will take full advantage of the full-screen feature. It's a wild guess and only time will tell.

6. WSR macrumors regular

I didn't update to Lion because of the downgrading of Spaces and Expose. Now I have another reason to wait for in the future updates.

7. boogei macrumors member

8. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Can you please explain this to me, because I still don't get how Spaces was different before(I used it once and never found convenient in SL).

Isn't the difference now that you swipe through spaces instead of pressing ctrl+ the arrows?

Also, you can activate old expose in the trackpad settings.

Attached Files:

9. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

That's the app Exposé. Quick switching via all-window Exposé is no longer available.

10. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I agree, it's a bit annoying having a monitor go to waste with full screen view!

Saying that, I don't really see a way around it...

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I don't see why this has to be that hard for Apple to implement. Just allow Mission Control to be pulled up on the active monitor the pointer is at, then select the app/space you want to pull up under that monitor.

If the same app/space is pulled up under 2 monitors, then just mirror it. Other option is to have monitors/displays appear on Mission Control too, so you can drag and move which screens you want on which display.

Easy, no? :confused:

12. zombiejebus macrumors newbie

Ugh. Eh, the new UI stuff isn't the sort of fare a power user wants.

Jeeze. It just gets worse. I love the new 10.7 finder for casual computing use on my laptops, the new features are great for that sort of thing.

My work computer is a whole different story. I run 3 displays on my workstation; and most of the new Lion features are irritating at best. Mission Control is a distraction. Launch Pad is useless when you have a ton of Apps; It also doesn't respond to keyboard input at all (typing the first 3 letters of a programs name or using arrow keys). The Dock's folder submenus do that. The new stuff seems terribly oriented toward laptop users. (no surprise). I don't even use expose as often as I used to and I don't touch spaces at all. I hide or quit apps with the traditional cmd-tab app switching and using q or h with the switcher up, or holding option while clicking from one app to another when I need it out of the way. I use/prefer Path Finder over the default Finder for this sort of environment and have a tabbed finder window up on each of my displays as my default window set.

Meh

13. caodapengtj macrumors member

Second that! What's point of having two screen when one of them is blank? I was so used to watching iTunes video fullscreen while doing all other works on the other screen. Now I cannot do that. Actually because of this stupid "feature", I never use any app fullscreen on Lion. Please fix.

14. zombiejebus macrumors newbie

I use VLC for my video watching needs in my multi monitor environment. I seem to recall having to set a plist flag or pref to turn off the blanking of the unused displays though; I think it blacks them by default now.