Full Screen Phone pictures?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KdParker, Jun 6, 2014.

1. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Just wondering if anyone has this feature working in beta 1.

So far all my calls still have the smaller icons and while this particular feature is not a deal breaker by any means, it is a nice to have.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Still have the small circle icon on calls. Maybe future betas will bring this back, as it was shown in the iOS 8 preview at WWDC.

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah still small for me. Have tried resetting pics / resyncing etc., no luck yet :)

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Maybe that image on the Apple site and the WWDC demo was just an oversight. It may remain small this fall.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Quite possibly. I don't know if they take screenshots or mock up those images. But it's worth pointing out that it had a full sized picture AND the current slide to answer design, which have never been together in a released version as far as I know. So... make of that what you will *shrug*

6. Xenc, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The two styles have been used together at the same time in iOS 7's history. Which style was displayed was dependant on the size of the contact image.

Ideally Apple would just provide us with a setting to choose between styles.

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Really? In a beta or something? I was only aware of these two, from 7.0 and 7.1 final releases I think:

iOS 7.0:
    [​IMG]

iOS 7.1
    [​IMG]

The pic on Apple's website:
    [​IMG]

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm not sure if it was really based on the size of the contact image but more about how it was associated with the contact--ways of syncing it through Outlook or some other means provided one version other ways of associating the photo provided another.

There are some apps, like Sync.ME, that would allow for example Facebook photos be associated with contacts and in the settings you could select if you wanted a full screen photo or a smaller icon one, and it would do that for you (at last prior to 7.1, and hopefully now as of 8.0 again).

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

10. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well I'm hoping for the full screen return. I know thousands have sent feedback to Apple on this..... let's see if they really listen!

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

12. KdParker thread starter macrumors 601

KdParker

Lets hope so with 8.0.

I would be happy if they only give the full screen photo, but I am sure there will be some that prefer the icon photo.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Do you have a log of each one??

14. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Oh please....

15. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I see! I'd imagine this would be a 8.0b2 feature.

16. fmalloy macrumors 6502

The 7.1 changes stank.

Tiny round photo (when's the last time you shot round photos?), lots of empty, wasted screen space, and look how small the "Remind me" and "Message" buttons are, they don't even have a button outline.

When the phone is ringing and you have to answer quickly, you want nice, big, clear targets to hit.

Jony Ive is good at designing pretty aluminum and glass enclosures but he sucks at software UI/UX. One man's opinion.

17. tdar macrumors 6502a

I would be shocked if the pictures from Apple's website do not end up being how it will work. B1 is deficient in many ways, so I doubt this rose to the level of getting in the code at this early stage.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Do you really think Ive is sitting there designing this stuff himself? As an SVP I would certainly hope not. Of course the buck stops with him (and Federighi) but they're not the ones designing this stuff. That's what they have staff for.

19. dcp10 macrumors 6502

^This

20. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

The fact that he ok's those design changes doesn't make it any better.

21. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Then you don't know that thousands gave feedback. Many people whine but then apathy takes over. Politics is a very good example of this.

22. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

we are all in agreement with contact phone calls, I know nobody who likes it. stupid small picture etc. that full screen with the old answer swipe was amazing. I hate the current and what looks like future swipe bar it looks crap.

Apple need to stop worrying so much on translucency and look at the actual design of things, you can focus so hard on something you dont actually see it at all.

23. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

I don't have iOS8b1 yet, but I'm hoping they implement as shown in the screenshot above. Never been a big fan of the small round photo, liked the full screen much better.

Maybe b2 or b3 brings this in, but I do think it will end up looking like what Apple demonstrated at WWDC.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does it matter? It was known that Apple did it. It wasn't a good thing. Now it seems like Apple is hopefully bringing it back. That's pretty much all there's to it.

25. brunosh macrumors regular

brunosh

One stupid question: Why are the early betas so featureless? Aren't the demos they make on keynotes the full iOS 8? What about the screenshots? Are they mock-ups? If it's done already, what take so long to release?