Full screen videos that are online lag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm not quite sure how to fix this. It's a late 2012 cMBP with a SSD, and I run Chrome as my default browser.

Any video streaming website, such as Youtube or twitch.tv, runs perfectly fine when watching in non-fullscreen, no matter the screen size, but once it's running on full screen, it just stutters like crazy. Is it a graphical problem? Processor? Internet? It didn't do this before, it just started recently. I'm not doing any intense work in the background either, only iTunes.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's a Flash problem. Flash is known to be resource intensive and can lag even great machines.

Really the only thing you can do is make sure you're running the latest browser update/version and the latest Flash version.

Also, are you on a 13" or 15"?

3. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

It's a 15"

And is it really Flash related? I've had computers worse (way worse...) then my current Macbook, which is pretty powerful as it is, and they ran 1080 youtube videos just fine. I'm beginning to think it may be the graphics card because I have frame rate problems when I'm playing League too...

4. xShane, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's most likely Flash related.

You might try resetting your SMC. It can sometimes affect system performance.

Also, have you tried another browser to see if Flash still lags?

EDIT: League of Legends is fairly new to the Mac, so I wouldn't say just yet that it's a graphic's card issue. Also, use Activity Monitor to see if Flash/Chrome is using abnormally higher resources (RAM and CPU) after you run full-screen Flash videos.

5. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

I just tried Safari, and yes it still has low frame rate. It could be true about League.

What does resetting the SMC do?

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It resets the System Management Controller (SMC).

Here's the Apple support article on it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

7. Serban Suspended

In league of legends i have around 50 fps on native resolution everything on High beside Shadows- that is by default put on low
    I have MBA 13" late 2012

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I had this issue a little while ago and I found out it is flash related. To fix the problem you will need to type in, "chrome://plugins" in the URL bar, than click "+Details" on the right hand side, followed by disabling the first entry option in the Adobe Flash Player section.

Here is a visual reference if necessary: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4845722?start=0&tstart=0

In Firefox and Safari I didn't experience this lag in full screen, though.

9. oldguru macrumors member

Thanks a lot, I have full screen video play lag issue after I replaced the HHD with SSD, and it looks it is solved by your solution!