Full screen windows with dock showing??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qwimjim, Jan 24, 2011.

1. qwimjim macrumors regular

If I have the dock showing I can click the bottom right corner of itunes and drag it to fill the screen, the dock just overlaps it. But if I try that with anything else, I can't go past the dock, there's some invisible line. The only way around it is to auto-hide the dock, but the dock is sooooo slow to re-appear.. why does it work in itunes but nothing else? I like to browse online full screen so it would mainly be for chrome.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@qwimjim, if you have an app in full screen (Command+F), then if you push at the bottom of the screen (or whichever edge your dock is on), then your dock will pop up.

You could also right click the dock and set auto-hide temporarily while you're browsing in Chrome.

3. simsaladimbamba, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

simsaladimbamba

CMD+F is often reserved for the "Find" command and not the Full Screen feature, which not many applications have anyway.
    Chrome is not the exception, as it uses SHIFT+CMD+F to enter Full Screen.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

5. simsaladimbamba

Yep, missed the SHIFT in there.

6. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I wasn't clear, i'm not looking for a shortcut to full screen, I just want to know why I'm able to full screen iTunes with the dock showing, but in every other app (specifically chrome) I can't stretch the window past that invisible line above the dock. If iTunes can do it then it can be done, no? So what's preventing the other apps from doing so.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The OS is what's preventing you from doing it. For whatever reason, Apple gave exception to iTunes but the OS prevents this from happening on other apps.

8. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

And yet if you take that application window (like Chrome for instance) that is maximized but cut off right where the dock starts, you can click and move it down and there's no problem. The dock will overlap it like with an iTunes window except now you have that dead space above the window. So it seems there's something in the OS that limits the maximum vertical size of a window when the dock is showing, except iTunes. If anyone knows of a hack or app that gets around this limitation, please share! It's so ridiculous and unnecessary.