Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I prefer them too. I avoid mobile sites like the plague. A whole new (often buggy) layout to learn with oversized elements and missing features – where the remaining ones take longer to access? No thanks.
A larger phone will certainly help many but my eyesight is good enough to make it doable even on a 4S now, thankfully. Even pre-retina panning was better than using many of the mobile sites out there.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've seen this site on an android like the m8, it's still not as nice as on my iPad, and I still would not use full site view on a small phone.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Be nice if safari had a built in setting for the user agent. Not all web designers put that nice "full site view" button at the bottom.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Be nice if safari had a built in setting for the user agent. Not all web designers put that nice "full site view" button at the bottom.

iOS 8 adds this to Safari. Tap the address bar, then scroll upwards on the bookmarks page to see "Add to Favourites" and "Request Desktop Site". Chrome on iOS offers this already.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
iOS 8 adds this to Safari. Tap the address bar, then scroll upwards on the bookmarks page to see "Add to Favourites" and "Request Desktop Site". Chrome on iOS offers this already.

I knew chrome did. I'm glad to see Safari is! Thanks

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I only use the full site version even on my iPhone 5. Although my eyes aren't that young, my glasses work just fine. He text may be tiny, bit it's razor sharp and easily readable to me. The mobile sight is too confusing to properly navigate..

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I've found these forums operate pretty well on the mobile version but definitely agree full site is best in general.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I like to navigate this forum in Full Site' view. The 4.7 should make it much easier to navigate with a phone.cant wait!!!

Doesn't make that big of a difference from current iPhone to iPhone 6 4.7" screen. I still use mobile mode on the Moto X (which has the same 4.7" screen as the new iPhone), as well as on the 5" Nexus 5. Only on the 6" Lumia 1520 could I use full site mode without having to use pinch to zoom to read and click links accurately.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Doesn't make that big of a difference from current iPhone to iPhone 6 4.7" screen. I still use mobile mode on the Moto X (which has the same 4.7" screen as the new iPhone), as well as on the 5" Nexus 5. Only on the 6" Lumia 1520 could I use full site mode without having to use pinch to zoom to read and click links accurately.

I do not pinch or zoom with the iPhone 5, I do however turn it sideways.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I like to navigate this forum in Full Site' view. The 4.7 should make it much easier to navigate with a phone.cant wait!!!

New iPhone won't make a big difference.
Of course with a larger screen you'll see more content or bigger fonts, but a full site doesn't look good on a phone, even with a 5'' display.
Most mobile site are poorly designed, that's the problem. When available I prefer the iPhone app instead of the mobile version of the site.
A smartphone is not a good browsing device like a tablet, you have to buy a phablet if you really want a device for web browsing.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
New iPhone won't make a big difference.
Of course with a larger screen you'll see more content or bigger fonts, but a full site doesn't look good on a phone, even with a 5'' display.
Most mobile site are poorly designed, that's the problem. When available I prefer the iPhone app instead of the mobile version of the site.
A smartphone is not a good browsing device like a tablet, you have to buy a phablet if you really want a device for web browsing.

I agree, but if you're addicted to a site like Macrumors and you get a quote notification (I'm changing to first person now) - I'm going to use my phone to see the comment on my phone right hen. Using full site is the way I like to see this content. I do not start a browsing session with a phone. I use my iPads for that.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
A lot is down to the mobile template that is used....the forum for my football team a lot of users actually actively use the mobile version on their phones as its better than the desktop one. I quite often put my iPad down to go on it on my iPhone as its easier and cleaner to use.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

For me a slightly larger screen does not make for enjoyable full site viewing. For that an ipad or larger is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.