Full-size DisplayPort on updated 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sehnsucht, Jan 22, 2009.

?

Do you expect to see standard DisplayPort on the updated 30" ACD?

1. Yes, the ACD will feature standard DP and DL-DVI, w/1394 hub.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Yes, theYes, the ACD will feature standard DP and DL-DVI, but W/O 1394 hub.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. No, the updated ACD will remain DVI only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, but it will be mini DisplayPort.

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

When Apple updates the 30" Cinema Display, I'm wondering if we'll see full-sized, or standard DisplayPort as an option. What do you think?

EDIT: Good grief, I am ridiculously bad at proofreading. Check out those garbled poll options!! :eek: :rolleyes:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I believe that the port on the 30" LED Cinema Display will depend on the ports on the graphics cards on the Gainestown Mac Pro. Since Apple did not update the 30" Cinema Display at MacWorld, I am assuming at this point that it will be a simultaneous release with the new Mac Pro whenever that gets released.

So, if the new Mac Pro has dual Mini DisplayPort out, we'll see the 30" LED Cinema Display with Mini DisplayPort.

If it has regular DisplayPort out, we'll see it with regular DisplayPort.

Personally, I believe that it will be Mini DisplayPort and the Mac Pro have Mini DisplayPort, as Apple will want people with the newest laptops to be able to buy an even larger display without the turn-off of an additional adapter.

3. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I just hope the new 30" ACD comes with normal input ports (ideally DP + DVI), as opposed to hard-wired cable hanging off it (like the 24" LED screen). Apple has effectively limited the use of the 24" screen to new MacBooks, which is a very poor business decision IMHO. I know a lot of people in the PC world would love to use Apple 24" LED, but can't . Why Apple decided to lock out those potential customers is beyond me.

On a related note, I wonder what kind of graphics card shows up in the updated MacPro. Assuming Apple moves MacPro to mini-DP (or full DP), Nvidia would have to come out with DP graphics card. I don't believe any of the shipping Nvidia cards have DP support today..

4. boed macrumors newbie

When is the new 30" LED mac display being released

Anyone hear any details?

THanks

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We have no idea.

6. boed macrumors newbie

Thanks, I was really hoping Apple would have some release date info - I have a few clients putting off purchases until the new 30" is released.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

At this point, I'm thinking it will be simultaneous with the Gainestown Mac Pro.

That makes sense, doesn't it? That'll be June or thereabouts.

8. boed macrumors newbie

Thanks - too far off fo my clients to wait - hopefully the new Dell 3009WFP will be out before then! At least with that one I don't have to worry or wonder if it will have a connector that works with the older macs and macbooks.

9. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

That would be ideal, but I have a nagging feeling that Apple will release Gainestown MacPro and just leave the current ACD 30" as is. That would also mean new MacPro will support "legacy" DVI outputs.