Full size wireless keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NY Guitarist, Jul 28, 2016.

1. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations for a full size Mac compatible wireless keyboard.

I found this one and like that it matches the Apple wireless keyboard but has the keypad, plus has the ability to switch between control of 4 devices: http://matias.ca/aluminum/wireless/

Any thoughts about this or others?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The gold one looks stunning. Not sure if they might get a slap on the wrist from Ive as they're practically identical aesthetically.

Reviews & company support seem to be good though, so I think you've stumbled across a pretty nice product.

[​IMG]

3. NY Guitarist thread starter macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I'm still looking around the internet and MR for info, but may just go ahead and buy this and report back.

4. dwig macrumors 6502

The keyboard looks good, but it should be noted that it has the "older" Apple standard layout with the Eject key for those "antique" Macs with CD/DVD drives.

5. bluespark macrumors 65816

Can't wait to hear OP's review of this, as it looks really nice.

BTW, I can't believe Apple has never released a full-sized wireless keyboard. I would buy one in a second.

6. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

7. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

The Matias keyboard linked above uses Bluetooth, which according to the article is unaffected. However, the chances of this happening to the average person are virtually nonexistent anyway, much like direct hacking of your WiFi signal. A hacker would have to know where you live, and know that you have a wireless keyboard that uses a USB dongle. And in the end, the average person probably holds little interest for sophisticated hackers anyway. I'm not saying it's not worth noting, but it's more F.U.D. than anything.

That being said, I absolutely hate wireless keyboards/mice that require a USB dongle for connection. If I wanted to take up a USB port 24/7, I would just buy a wired keyboard to begin with.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

It's definitely bluetooth, otherwise it wouldn't be compatible with smartphones.

What I don't like is how the F16-F19 keys are fake and actually just device-switching keys.

9. NY Guitarist thread starter macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm still in research mode if anyone has a suggestion!

10. reh macrumors 6502a

11. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I looked at that keyboard. It would probably work well (I don't know what style of keys they use compared to Apple's keyboard) for me, except they killed four F-Keys over the num-pad just to show a charge indicator and power switch. Unfortunately, those four F-Keys are the most desirable for me to use.

It is very tempting though.

12. mdbradigan macrumors member

mdbradigan

FWIW - I've been using the same Logitech K750 for the last ~ 6MO on my rMB plugged in to an external monitor to program daily, and have been very satisfied with it.

13. Florpy macrumors newbie

Florpy

Psst… if it's more function keys you seek, try FunctionFlip. http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/

Take back some of your function keys. I make the brightness keys require Fn so I can use them for my own purposes again. I wish Apple would make the volume keys on Mac act like iOS so I wouldn't need a mute key.

14. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I already have Palua installed to automatically switch between F-Keys and the Apple-imposed functions depending on the app I'm in. What I want are the physical keys located over the num-pad.