Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anab85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Good day! I am new to the forum and so far have learnt a few things about my Mac. I have a problem tho. For the last few days, my MacBook had been giving me warning about the startup disc being full. Since then, I have taken steps to free up some space by deleting files and creating archives.
However, today, when I switched on my Mac today, nothing came on except a picture of a folder and a "?" on it. My question is, what can I do to start/restart my Mac and is there anything else I can do to free up my Startup disc.

Thank you for any assistance. :)

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Good day! I am new to the forum and so far have learnt a few things about my Mac. I have a problem tho. For the last few days, my MacBook had been giving me warning about the startup disc being full. Since then, I have taken steps to free up some space by deleting files and creating archives.
However, today, when I switched on my Mac today, nothing came on except a picture of a folder and a "?" on it. My question is, what can I do to start/restart my Mac and is there anything else I can do to free up my Startup disc.

Thank you for any assistance. :)

You can boot from the installation DVD that came with your MB - just press the 'c' key for a while when you hit the power key. The install disk with have "Disk Utility" to help you diagnose and repair faults with your HD and then you (hopefully!) will be able to free up some space by deleting files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.