Full System Restore from Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eddiexhart, Jul 28, 2010.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Got a new (used) 15" MBP and I'm trying to do a full system restore via Tima Capsule over the network. Started it last night at 11PM Estimated time was 15 hours.. Just got home from work the next day 5PM and it now says 5 Hours. But it jumps up a few minutes then down.
    I did find a ethernet cable so my question is, can I cancel the restore? And restart it via ethernet cable? It doesny list an option to cancel but can I just turn off by the power button or turn off time capsule? Help!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could shut it down, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd just let it restore overnight again.

3. eddiexhart thread starter macrumors regular

eddiexhart

So do you think I should just let it do it's thing?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, just let it sit another night.

5. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

Yes I definitely agree. Even though it most likely wouldn't harm anything by shutting it down (keyword: most), be safe and wait another night. Since there are only 5 hours left, however if by the next night, it still isn't done, I would cancel/shutdown. Good Luck!

6. eddiexhart thread starter macrumors regular

eddiexhart

It's seriously teasing me. It went from 4 hours to 48 minutes back to 5 hours.. Its driving me crazy!! Tho the progress bar is almost done! Ughhh

7. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

Hmm, you never know, could perhaps be a glitch in Time Machine calculating the est. time remaining. Hah I'm sure it's very annoying :D Hang in there!!!

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd still just let it sit overnight for now. If it still isn't done in the morning and has a significant amount of time left, you should probably shut it down and connect the Mac directly to the Time Capsule.