Full System Restore from Time Machine

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
Got a new (used) 15" MBP and I'm trying to do a full system restore via Tima Capsule over the network. Started it last night at 11PM Estimated time was 15 hours.. Just got home from work the next day 5PM and it now says 5 Hours. But it jumps up a few minutes then down.
I did find a ethernet cable so my question is, can I cancel the restore? And restart it via ethernet cable? It doesny list an option to cancel but can I just turn off by the power button or turn off time capsule? Help!

snowboarder943

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Yeah, just let it sit another night.
Yes I definitely agree. Even though it most likely wouldn't harm anything by shutting it down (keyword: most), be safe and wait another night. Since there are only 5 hours left, however if by the next night, it still isn't done, I would cancel/shutdown. Good Luck!

Comment

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
Yes I definitely agree. Even though it most likely wouldn't harm anything by shutting it down (keyword: most), be safe and wait another night. Since there are only 5 hours left, however if by the next night, it still isn't done, I would cancel/shutdown. Good Luck!
It's seriously teasing me. It went from 4 hours to 48 minutes back to 5 hours.. Its driving me crazy!! Tho the progress bar is almost done! Ughhh

Comment

snowboarder943

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hmm, you never know, could perhaps be a glitch in Time Machine calculating the est. time remaining. Hah I'm sure it's very annoying :D Hang in there!!!

Comment

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It's seriously teasing me. It went from 4 hours to 48 minutes back to 5 hours.. Its driving me crazy!! Tho the progress bar is almost done! Ughhh
I'd still just let it sit overnight for now. If it still isn't done in the morning and has a significant amount of time left, you should probably shut it down and connect the Mac directly to the Time Capsule.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.