full system wipe before selling on?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raw8725, Oct 15, 2014.

1. raw8725 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I've had to part company with my beloved Macbook pro retina display and I've sold it online to pay for school.

Please can someone kindly recommend to me how to wipe it an install a fresh copy of Mavericks?

I have the late 2013 13" Macbook pro

Thank you so much:apple:

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Reboot. Hold down shift and choose the Recovery option. Open Disk Utility, choose your hard drive and do a Secure Erase. Then, close Disk Utility and install Mavericks.

3. raw8725 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you kind sir, from the disk utility how does one install Mavericks? I have no CD or USB with my retina display macbook pro. Its late 2013.

Kind regards :apple::)

4. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

New Macs have a hidden bit at the end of the hard drive, that contains the OS X installer.

Boot holding shift and choose the Recovery option. You'll have the option to install OS X, or launch Disk Utility.

You want to erase by choosing your partition (not the disk), and use the Erase tab. You can do a Secure Erase, which will overwrite the entire SSD with zeros. Don't bother with the "secure" 7 or 35 times. They're designed for hard disks. They don't have any benefit on SSDs and you'll just shorten its life.

After you erase, there's an option to close Disk Utility and return to the installer. You either click the X in the top left, or you use the menu at the top of the screen. Can't remember which. Do that.

Source: I wiped my Mac (Yosemite) and re-installed Mavericks last week.