Full-value Bluetooth mouse like MX518

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kemo, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Hey, I'm just wondering there is no "full-value" ( right hand / ergonomic mouse for all day use / precise ...) Bluetooth mouse. I'm looking for mouse like Logitech MX518 or so but with Bluetooth interface, because I wanna get External display and would like to buy Apple Wireless Keyboard and some mouse to MBP.

I've tried these:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=098 IMO: too small, not so ergnomic as I thought, but precise! Cant imagine to work with this mouse about 3 hours, Ive used this mouse about 30 minutes and rather put it off my table and get back my MX518..

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=099 IMO: same as above, except Ive tested it about 5 minutes, no more, never ever!

Didnt tried Mighty Mouse, but I think it will be almost the same at all as mice mentioned above. By the way I'm used to have my hand mounted on mouse and I've heard that you have to take right finger off the mouse when you wanna click on left one because of the touch sensors... is it true?!

What is your mouse, or do you recommend me to get cable keyboard and use MX518 in the future? I'm really disappointed right now, because there is no mouse that fit my needs :( Am I so choosy?:confused:

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

At least this much I can attest as being true - I am the same way and it is annoying at times.

3. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

So you CAN'T have right finger on the mouse when you wanna click with the left one? Thats fu*** crazy...I really love Apple, like their ideas, but this mouse they screw up!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you can click left but you can't click right when your left finger is on its place. This doesn't annoy me at all, you get used to it in few hours

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yep, if you have a finger on both sides of the mouse, it will left click. It is really easy to get used to so long as you understand it. It can be a little confusing if you keep trying to right click and it left clicks instead.

6. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Okay, so what do you suggest ? Ill visit local Apple store soon, may today, so what do you suggest ? Get Wireless solution or get cables? How long do battery do their job If I use my computer about 12 hours per day for my work ?

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I too have a logitech MX518 - great mouse. I'd like to go wireless, but in my opinion, there is no bluetooth mouse that compares for functionality, comfort, and precision. I've tried a bunch - MS, radtech, MM, etc., but they just don't compare.

FYI, there is a bluetooth version of the logitech MX revolution, but you have to buy it bundled with a keyboard and the total package costs over $150 if I remember correctly.

here it is. $174

8. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Lol, Ive forgotten to this option, It may could be better to get this kit than get apple keyboard and mighty mouse (which IMO is not so much comfortable, too!), thank you for a tip, will think about this!

9. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Perhaps you can look/try the Radtech BT600 mouse. It seems like its bigger than most "notebook" bluetooth mice and has the 2 side buttons like your MX518. It has a USB cable to charge the internal battery too:

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx

But yea, if you'd looking to also get a keyboard too might as well consider the Logitech MX5500 set (with the bluetooth MX mouse). I have the MX revolution mouse (non-bluetooth version) and IMHO its fantastic.

10. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Thanks, that mouse looks interesting, too.

Well, if it is Bluetooth set, I thought it doesn't need any adapter and just connect via BT in my MBP, but I was wrong, as far as I've read, there is need to have connected Logitech BT adapter in USB :(

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

Except when you have to right and left click at the same time... This mouse is a fail, and I love Apple but this one sucks. They can't all be perfect.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I had that mouse for a while, and I can't recommend it. The biggest problem is that the battery life was vanishingly short. Yeah it has the cable option, but if I wanted to keep it plugged in all the time I wouldn't have gotten a BT mouse.

Second, I found the buttons a lot stiffer than on logitech mice (which are pretty much my benchmark). I know that doesn't sound awful, but pressing the buttons just didn't feel right.

Third, mine discolored (ugly yellowish color, like you used to see on white macbooks) very quickly. I didn't use it with dirty hands, either - this happened in a couple of weeks with normal use.

Where have you seen that? I've not used that particular set, but bluetooth is bluetooth. If your mac has it built in (as all macs have had for a while now), you don't need an adapter.

13. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

Well, here they in Specifications tellin that I need USB port, why dont they just tell "USB port or Bluetooth" ...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/3481&cl=roeu,en

Also I've read some discussion about this product in one online store and they said same at all, it just need to have plugged Logitech bluetooth adapter to get this working... that discourage me from buying..also I was thinking, If I would have PC based keyboard, where should I find CMD key ? It will be replaced WINDOW key?

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well, I don't know, but again I'll say, bluetooth is bluetooth. If you look at the adapter in the link you posted it says bluetooth 2.0 edr. That's just what's in every mac. I don't see how adding an adapter that has the same thing would do anything.

I'm not trying to talk you in to buying something that might not work, I'm just saying I don't understand. A usb bluetooth adapter just adds the same functionality that's built in to macs already. And I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard (not this one) and it works with my mac without an adapter.

Maybe the people posting about the adapter are on PCs that don't have BT built in? I don't know what else to tell you except maybe contact logitech customer support?

PC keyboards definitely have a command key; I think it's labeled the windows key. I could be wrong about the label but it's definitely there.

15. kemo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kemo

I understand you, It makes me think too - "Why should I add something, that already my notebook has? (Bluetooth)" .. yea, ppl who said that, got ordinary Windows based laptops (I dont even know 1 without Bluetooth), so I think they just was not able to set this up, nothin more, butbe sure, before I order this keyboard Ill definitely contact Logitech support, by the way, could I ask you what keyboard and mouse do you have?

Also like Logitech diNovo Edge Mac edition, looks really cool! it definitely is Bluetooth keyboard and connects via Bluetooth that is integrated in almost every Mac.

May Ill order this keyboard but, what about mouse.. MX Revolution? Does this one need extra adapter in USB, doesn't it?