Fullscreen mode still broken

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by blackomega31, Jul 10, 2012.

1. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

I am both saddened and angered to see that fullscreen mode is still just as useless with a second display in ML as it was in lion, the only thing that you can do now is make an app full screen in the secondary display and the primary gets blanked out. come on apple, you fixed all the other stupid mistakes of lion, why can you fix the most stupid of them all.

This marks the beginning of the end of apple making quality products. this puts apple on par with say....nintendo

2. pradeepd macrumors newbie

I can't express anything more than what you have. It's a complete stupidity on Apple's innovation. Someone needs to teach "Full Screen 101" to Apple.

200-1 = 199 new features on ML

3. NinjahKitteh macrumors newbie

I thought apple said they were fixing this in mountain lion? Is it not there?

4. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Can't you just use the secondary monitor as you have used it in the years 2001-2009? I.e. just drag the window to the secondary screen, click the green zoom button and be done with?

5. icoffee macrumors regular

No, unfortunately it pushes the other window out of the way.

6. samac92, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

samac92 macrumors 6502a

The full screen button did not exist before lion. Pretend it isn't there and don't click it - problem solved.

Apple designed it to work this way, it isn't a bug. When they introduced the feature they likened it to how the iPad works, ie the whole device becomes that one application. If the application you make fullscreen has multiple windows (like an app with palettes) you can drag them to either display in full screen mode.

If you want to see multiple apps at once don't use full screen mode, just maximise the application instead. Maybe if Apple renamed it to "single app mode" people wouldn't complain..?

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The problem with this nonsense is nobody is talking about "iPads".

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

That's not a solution.

I have been waiting for a full-screen implementation for years, mainly because, as a programmer who needs 2 screens and as much code in the screen as possible, I found that the toolbar of every programming application when compined with the top bar on OS X and the top border of every window, take significant amount of space in your screen. This becomes extremely frustrating in laptop screens. You need full screen support in these configurations.

And +1 for someone to convince Apple to make full screen support dual screen configurations. Please, let's all file a bug report!

9. CTBC macrumors member

The main reason for me why this feature is annoying is when watching a video in full screen, I can't do something on the other screen. Like if I'm watching a tutorial.

10. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

It is unfortunate they still have not fixed this. I generally agree with Apple's design choices, but this was just a mistake.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Use VLC.

12. ArmanUV macrumors member

Depending on your player, you can force it to use the Pre-Lion full screen mode which doesn't black out the other display (most players have a "Don't black out secondary displays" in their Preferences).

13. CTBC macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. It is usually when I'm streaming iTunes U content, I doubt iTunes has the option, but I'll check.

14. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Windows 8 is built on full screen apps (Metro apps), and it supports multiple monitors just fine. I don't see why Apple can't make it work.

15. blackomega31 thread starter macrumors member

blackomega31

16. WSR macrumors regular

Because Apple is too wrapped up in Full-Screen apps creating there own Space. If they hadn't done this both Full-Screen w/ Multiple Monitors and Spaces would be fix like it was in Snow Leopard.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I'm sure they could if they wanted too, same reason you have to jailbreak idevices for features the competitors can do, so times they hold on to features for updates and some times they don't care what we want

18. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Why not use a desktop with bigger screens if it's that much of an issue? Your already hookin the laptop up to an external display it sounds like.

19. iSuPeRFrEaKy macrumors newbie

WOW Cant believe they still haven't fixed the most obvious problem with dual monitors. Great you can fullscreen onto the second monitor, but HELLO the main screen goes BLANK.. Crazy:mad::mad::confused::confused:

20. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Don't worry, they'll fix it and announce it as a "feature" in the next OS X release. Only 359 days to go!

21. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Apples Serious pissing me off now with these crap "new OS X".

200 new features, nope, less features, 200 bug fixes. This is bloody crap and sick of looking for work arounds for apples laziness. Now Safari doesn't even support RSS and I had my home page set to RSS feeds, otherwise I wouldn't read them!

******* Apple -_-