Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackomega31

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
I am both saddened and angered to see that fullscreen mode is still just as useless with a second display in ML as it was in lion, the only thing that you can do now is make an app full screen in the secondary display and the primary gets blanked out. come on apple, you fixed all the other stupid mistakes of lion, why can you fix the most stupid of them all.

This marks the beginning of the end of apple making quality products. this puts apple on par with say....nintendo

pradeepd

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
I can't express anything more than what you have. It's a complete stupidity on Apple's innovation. Someone needs to teach "Full Screen 101" to Apple.

200-1 = 199 new features on ML

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Can't you just use the secondary monitor as you have used it in the years 2001-2009? I.e. just drag the window to the secondary screen, click the green zoom button and be done with?

icoffee

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Can't you just use the secondary monitor as you have used it in the years 2001-2009? I.e. just drag the window to the secondary screen, click the green zoom button and be done with?

No, unfortunately it pushes the other window out of the way.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
The full screen button did not exist before lion. Pretend it isn't there and don't click it - problem solved.

Apple designed it to work this way, it isn't a bug. When they introduced the feature they likened it to how the iPad works, ie the whole device becomes that one application. If the application you make fullscreen has multiple windows (like an app with palettes) you can drag them to either display in full screen mode.

If you want to see multiple apps at once don't use full screen mode, just maximise the application instead. Maybe if Apple renamed it to "single app mode" people wouldn't complain..?

Last edited:

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
The full screen button did not exist before lion. Pretend it isn't there and don't click it - problem solved.

That's not a solution.

I have been waiting for a full-screen implementation for years, mainly because, as a programmer who needs 2 screens and as much code in the screen as possible, I found that the toolbar of every programming application when compined with the top bar on OS X and the top border of every window, take significant amount of space in your screen. This becomes extremely frustrating in laptop screens. You need full screen support in these configurations.

And +1 for someone to convince Apple to make full screen support dual screen configurations. Please, let's all file a bug report!

CTBC

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
The main reason for me why this feature is annoying is when watching a video in full screen, I can't do something on the other screen. Like if I'm watching a tutorial.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
It is unfortunate they still have not fixed this. I generally agree with Apple's design choices, but this was just a mistake.

ArmanUV

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
The main reason for me why this feature is annoying is when watching a video in full screen, I can't do something on the other screen. Like if I'm watching a tutorial.

Depending on your player, you can force it to use the Pre-Lion full screen mode which doesn't black out the other display (most players have a "Don't black out secondary displays" in their Preferences).

CTBC

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Depending on your player, you can force it to use the Pre-Lion full screen mode which doesn't black out the other display (most players have a "Don't black out secondary displays" in their Preferences).

Thanks for the tip. It is usually when I'm streaming iTunes U content, I doubt iTunes has the option, but I'll check.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Windows 8 is built on full screen apps (Metro apps), and it supports multiple monitors just fine. I don't see why Apple can't make it work.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Windows 8 is built on full screen apps (Metro apps), and it supports multiple monitors just fine. I don't see why Apple can't make it work.

Because Apple is too wrapped up in Full-Screen apps creating there own Space. If they hadn't done this both Full-Screen w/ Multiple Monitors and Spaces would be fix like it was in Snow Leopard.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

I'm sure they could if they wanted too, same reason you have to jailbreak idevices for features the competitors can do, so times they hold on to features for updates and some times they don't care what we want

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
That's not a solution.

I have been waiting for a full-screen implementation for years, mainly because, as a programmer who needs 2 screens and as much code in the screen as possible, I found that the toolbar of every programming application when compined with the top bar on OS X and the top border of every window, take significant amount of space in your screen. This becomes extremely frustrating in laptop screens. You need full screen support in these configurations.

And +1 for someone to convince Apple to make full screen support dual screen configurations. Please, let's all file a bug report!

Why not use a desktop with bigger screens if it's that much of an issue? Your already hookin the laptop up to an external display it sounds like.

iSuPeRFrEaKy

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
WOW Cant believe they still haven't fixed the most obvious problem with dual monitors. Great you can fullscreen onto the second monitor, but HELLO the main screen goes BLANK.. Crazy:mad::mad::confused::confused:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Don't worry, they'll fix it and announce it as a "feature" in the next OS X release. Only 359 days to go!

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Apples Serious pissing me off now with these crap "new OS X".

200 new features, nope, less features, 200 bug fixes. This is bloody crap and sick of looking for work arounds for apples laziness. Now Safari doesn't even support RSS and I had my home page set to RSS feeds, otherwise I wouldn't read them!

******* Apple -_-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.