Fullscreen on only one monitor?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by odinsride, Sep 14, 2007.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Trying to watch a vid in itunes on my external monitor but when I try to go fullscreen it blanks out my MBP's display so I can't do anything else.

Any way around this?

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

kind of a cheap work-around... but you could just max the size of the window for the movie. i have the same issue.

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Well that's lame :(

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know. I asked the same question a while ago and long-story-short... it came to that. One of those little things I wish Apple would fix.

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

That is odd because on my 2 monitor set up when I had a PC I could full screen itunes on the secondary monitor and still work on the main monitor. I wonder if that is a mac quirk. interesting.

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Not the best solution, but you could watch it in quicktime instead of iTunes.

7. spencer4higher macrumors newbie

figured it out. In Quicktime go into the View menu then click "Present Movie" and select just one monitor. worked for me.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Too bad that's a Pro option. Otherwise, sweet.

9. CortexRock macrumors 6502

You can do this using the VLC (Video Lan Client) Media Player... superior in a lot of ways to Quicktime Player and iTunes Video Player.

In VLC, you can run full screen video on one monitor and continue working on another, without interrupting the video.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Present movie is a good feature for dual screen setups but too bad its pro only option. should be in the free version of QuickTime.

11. Finnian macrumors newbie

Yes, as cortexrock says, this is easily doable in VLC media player, in fact i'm doing it now! Just go to preferences->Video and turn of blacking out in fullscreen.

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You can do it in QuickTime Player just fine. The preferences dialog has an option that will allow a movie to stay fullscreen while the app's in the background. You can even choose the screen that the movie is shown on. No need to use "Present Movie".

13. martyb13 macrumors newbie

Itunes Full Screen One Monitor

Right Click on the full screen icon choose "play video in separate window"
    drag window to screen and maximize

14. rayhigh macrumors member

You do realize you replied to a thread that is over 4 years old, right?

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Which is yet another example of why MR needs auto thread closing. It could be set for 24 months and catch the last half dozen of these waking the dead zombie threads I've seen around here. What's more ironic is Mavericks finally addresses this issue, allowing you to have something full screen and do stuff on your second monitor. It only took Apple 6 years to get around to fixing this. And yes this thread may have aged 4 years from the most recent reply, but it dates from 6 years ago. :eek: