Fullscreen "split" screen on 3D TVs - where is it?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Using a 3D tv with two pairs of glasses, you can feed two separate 2D video signals to the viewers wearing them. They actually demoed this at the IFA show, with two movies playing on the same screen.

This could be effectively used to allow multiplayer modes where both players get a full screen, on the same tv, without being able to see the opponent's screen. Pretty awesome, methinks! Only issue would be the sound, both players would need to wear headphones so they only hear "their" sound. This can be done though, on the tv demo mentioned above, the 3D glasses had integrated earbuds.

My question is: Why isn't anyone jumping on this??? Of course it's a matter of processing power and memory resources, but really, NOBODY has given this a shot yet? Not even as a gimmick, "look what we can do"?

It was the first thing that came to my mind when I first played a 3D PS3 demo at the IFA 2010. I couldn't wait for developers to start experimenting with that....and two years later, nothing?? :confused:

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

The Playstation branded HDTV has this function.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Any 3D tv can technically do this.

What we need is games that actually use it!

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Apologies, I was on the phone when I replied to this. Yeah it'd be a pretty cool feature if you play with friends a lot. But I cannot remember the last time I played split screen with someone now. I only play FIFA with friends actually in the room these days, though that is probably because my closest friends are not gamers.

5. TJohansson macrumors newbie

If i put one video on the upper half and one on the lower half of the screen i can se both full screen on my LG 3d TV. I just need something that can split my screen so i can see two movies on fullscreen split on half the screen?

Is there any software that can play two movies fullscreen on half the screen:confused:

Attached Files:

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

If you live in the US, the PlayStation branded TV that does this is a steal at the moment. When I was over there I saw them in Frys and Best Buy for like $200. That's less than £150 :eek:

7. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Cool idea, but no way am I going to wear special glasses to game, especially as I already use prescription glasses.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As Sony hav now de-prioritised 3D gaming and as the current GM hardware really wasn't powerful enough to support it without some serious compromises, I imagine the chance of this two screen solution ever actually bing put not a game that supports it is slim to none.

9. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

10. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Too bad the TV dies so quickly.

11. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

12. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

It's a nice idea sure, but apparently doing 3d seriously hampers game performance and I guess not a lot of people play split screen games that much.

When we were kids, I used to put a slice of cardboard in the middle of the TV so that we could play Twisted Metal 2 without seeing each others' screen :)

13. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

^^^So many juvenile arguments over screen-cheating ;-)

14. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

15. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

I admit to it, and challenge one NOT TO! I am not going to ignore pertinent information that is free and unhidden from me! Cough cough Bond, Starfox 64, and Syphon Filter 2