Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Using apps on OS X in fullscreen mode is great...but the second you need to drag a file from Finder to the app......when Finder goes overtop of the "fullscreen" app it disappears....and drag and drop becomes useless. Fullscreen is useless. =)

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Fullscreen has always been useless. Previously OS X has been the champions of Drag And Drop, but because Apple wanted to entice Windows freaks to switch, thus this Fullscreen crap to call it evolutionary. :eek::eek:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I use multiple Spaces. Putting an app into full screen mode uses the "right-most" Space - I've been moving over one Space to the left, a Space with only the Desktop showing in which I can drag a file to the app's Dock icon. QED, serves my needs, doesn't suck for me...

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I use multiple Spaces. Putting an app into full screen mode uses the "right-most" Space - I've been moving over one Space to the left, a Space with only the Desktop showing in which I can drag a file to the app's Dock icon. QED, serves my needs, doesn't suck for me...

The problem with Fullscreen is that once you have a FS'ed app in one Space, you cannot have another app occupying that same Space, hence no Drag and Drop... That is OP's predicament...

Get it...? :rolleyes:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can certainly drag and drop onto a full screen app - start dragging the file, press F3 to view spaces and hold the file over the space at the top of the screen containing the full screen app.

It will then activate the full screen app and you simply drop the file onto it

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
And then go back to the Space where the original app is should I need to drag more files...?

No thanks...

If you were to count how many steps it takes to accomplish this task versus the previous way of doing things, that's the very reason why lots of people hated Lion onwards...

Btw, your steps do not work on FS'ed iTunes, especially when it comes to adding my own sets of album artworks.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The problem with Fullscreen is that once you have a FS'ed app in one Space, you cannot have another app occupying that same Space, hence no Drag and Drop... That is OP's predicament...

Get it...? :rolleyes:
I do, and I think you don't get what I wrote. Full screen, the way I have my account set up, is for the active window in that app - in a new Space for that window. I have 4 Spaces in this account - activate FS for an active window gets a 5th Space, activate FS for another active window in another app gets a 6th Space. Swiping to a Space with no active windows yields a Desktop view - in which I can drag any file to the Dock to open. I do this all the time, in a multiple-monitor or single-monitor environment.
Get it? :rolleyes:

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I do, and I think you don't get what I wrote. Full screen, the way I have my account set up, is for the active window in that app - in a new Space for that window. I have 4 Spaces in this account - activate FS for an active window gets a 5th Space, activate FS for another active window in another app gets a 6th Space. Swiping to a Space with no active windows yields a Desktop view - in which I can drag any file to the Dock to open. I do this all the time, in a multiple-monitor or single-monitor environment.
Get it? :rolleyes:

hmmm I don't really get it sorry. I wish they could just fix it so that you can drag windows over a fullscreen window. Then everyone would be cheery happy. Would be an easy fix I think. =)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
hmmm I don't really get it sorry. I wish they could just fix it so that you can drag windows over a fullscreen window. Then everyone would be cheery happy. Would be an easy fix I think. =)
Sorry, but your OP did say "files" not "windows", or maybe I wouldn't have gotten involved with this thread!

There might be another way? There's a little-used Finder action nobody I know uses. I'll use the Finder as an example, but I've noticed different apps have different behaviors in FS.

Either create two Finder windows with files in them, or create one Finder window and have files available on the Desktop that you'll want to move to your FS Finder window. Put the "destination" Finder window into FS mode. Your Mac creates a new Space to the "right" with that window. Switch to the Space the now-FS window was in. Now, the "trick" that works with Spaces in the Finder. Select the files you want to move, then drag them to the right of your Desktop (whether they're on the Desktop or in that second Finder window) - and pause while holding down the "mouse" (I use a trackpad and a Wacom tablet). BTW, if your Dock is on the right like mine is, drag to the side of the Desktop under or over the Dock. The Finder will move to the next Space with files you've selected still selected, and you can drop them wherever you like - if you have multiple Spaces, keep holding down the mouse with the files selected and you can move the files across multiple Spaces.

This "trick" works with files in some apps, text in some apps, and images in some apps. For instance, you can drag a .webloc file into a FS Firefox or Safari window. Even some Mac apps have different behaviors - Pages and Finder open up a FS window in a new Space, but TextEdit doesn't. You can also move whole Finder windows by grabbing the Finder window icon in a Window Toolbar and dragging it the same way.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.