Fully Bricked (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tsaar, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Tsaar macrumors newbie

I was using my iPhone 4 normally today (I did reboot it once, but it still ran fine after that). Put it in my pocket after surfing the web, pulled it out a few minutes later to check something on the web and it was black (and not responding). I would think this was the battery, but it was basically fully charged.

I have tried:

-Holding home and plugging in iTunes.
    -Tried entering DFU mode.
    -Tried RecBoot.
    -Tried holding home and power for about 2 minutes.

No response. I have tried multiple cables and computers (both desktops and laptops). No response from iTunes, nor does any computer even register a device is being connected.

It seems like it is fully a brick.

It seems like a power problem...but I doubt a battery would just croak. Also, I get no response even after plugging it in to charge for hours.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A hardware issue is not a brick. A brick is a problem caused by a irreversible software problem.

3. Tsaar, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Tsaar thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I am trying to figure out.

It isn't responding to anything...

It seems that even with a bad battery it would respond to AC power.

Basically I am wondering has anyone else seen an iPhone 4, seemingly with no cause, just die?

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes my friends did when we were hanging out last year. We tried tons of things, took it back to apple. They said it could be water damaged, checked, no water damage and gave my friend a replacement.

5. Tsaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I know its not water damage because I didn't wet my pants. :)

Anyway, I would be OK with a replacement...just I would be worried about my personal data (texts, photos, phonebook, bank information) being exposed after they fixed it because it would all be on the solid state memory.

I would also be upset at losing my non-backed up photos (but obviously I understand that goes with the territory of croaked hardware).

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ya i back up my phone once a week in case anything like this happens. Bc it happened to my iPhone 3G in 08. lost everything.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If you held Home + Power for 2 minutes and no silver Apple appeared, then something failed beyond repair.