Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Does Apple keep loaded 11in Air in the store do do I have to custom order?

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Apple keeps only the two 11" MBA that are listed on the site in stock at retail locations.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKAIR-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKAIR-INDEX

Just the two on the left are kept in stock. Anything else has to be custom ordered online.

This is incorrect. I bought an 11" 1.6/4/128 at my local Apple Store. It does occasionally vary by location, but most stores by now have 'Ultimate' versions of the laptops. I would call and ask if they have the one you want in stock.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I too bought this 11 ultimate in store. A simple call to a store will answer your question.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Cool, I'll give them a ring Tuesday. If it's in stock then I'll be bringing home a loaded 11in Air. :)

Thanks guys.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Apple keeps only the two 11" MBA that are listed on the site in stock at retail locations.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKAIR-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKAIR-INDEX

Just the two on the left are kept in stock. Anything else has to be custom ordered online.

Not true.

Based on reports on here some (many?) stores stock-
1) the default config(s)
2) the default config(s) with 4GB RAM
3) ultimate versions

Call your local store and ask I guess.

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Not true.

Based on reports on here some (many?) stores stock-
1) the default config(s)
2) the default config(s) with 4GB RAM
3) ultimate versions

Call your local store and ask I guess.

I never heard about defaults with CTO RAM being offered in retail Apple Stores.
I bought mine in Dec'10 and it wasn't the case back then at least, only defaults and "Ultimates".

Mode-III fan

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
Me too. I bought a 13" MBA (Ultimate) a couple of weeks ago. Though, that rumored June refresh should be worth waiting for. (I guess I was just too impatient!! :))

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I went into the store intending to buy the ultimate MBA 11". But while talking to the salesgirl, I was thinking, now in the last two years, I have bought an iMac with the 9400m integrated graphics, a 2010 13" MBP with the 320m integrated graphics...in both cases, I had spent in the range of $1000-$1500 for my computers and each time I ended up with half@$$ graphics. I started asking myself: "why are you spending another $1500 on a slow computer with crappy graphics?" I then walked over to the big boy computers (15 and 17) and started to play with those.

Two weeks later, I go online and buy a 2.3 17" MBP refurb! That's right, go into the store intending to buy an 11" Air, come out with a 17" Pro!

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I never heard about defaults with CTO RAM being offered in retail Apple Stores.
I bought mine in Dec'10 and it wasn't the case back then at least, only defaults and "Ultimates".

I've seen some people on here say that they got a base model with just 4GB RAM upgrade. Not surprised since Apple does stock more popular configs in-store (on the Air the most popular upgrade is the RAM, or so I hear).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.