Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gooseta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
London, UK
My two options are : rMBP i5/512/8GB for £1754 (student discount)

or

Dell XPS 15 i7/512/16GB for $1958 inc. tax (£1472) (I'm in the US right now on holiday but the MBP won't be available for a while)

I primarily use my laptop for web browsing/streaming movies/TV and some gaming (Civ VI, BF1, FM2017 is what I would be playing)

Obviously the Dell is a better laptop for gaming with the 960m, but can any current owners tell me how good the trackpad, keyboard and battery are in real life? Tbh I prefer Apple's software, display scaling, build quality and trackpad but I'm not sure what to get at this price point. (Windows high res scaling pisses me off, but is it worth £300 more for the mac)

Thanks

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If you're using it for pleasure I'd highly recommend the Windows machine. These price hikes make it an obscene purchase for anything other than work use.

You're paying £300 extra for a weaker processor, less RAM, no dGPU, and a smaller screen. Spec wise they're not comparable. If you're playing games on it go for the Dell.

gooseta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
London, UK
If you're using it for pleasure I'd highly recommend the Windows machine. These price hikes make it an obscene purchase for anything other than work use.

You're paying £300 extra for a weaker processor, less RAM, no dGPU, and a smaller screen. Spec wise they're not comparable. If you're playing games on it go for the Dell.

I know the Dell is much better spec-wise, but I've owned 3 Windows laptops in the last 3 years, all had poor trackpads, average at best build quality and terrible display scaling. If I'm paying £1500 for a laptop I want to be able to use Spotify without it looking like a pixelated mess

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
For what you need, you are better off with the Dell using Windows. I personally use majority of Apple's integration like iMessage, FaceTime, photos, xcode, and a few Apple's only app. In my case, I would use an Apple OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.