Fully turn off 3D in IOS 6 maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by chazcron, Sep 26, 2012.

1. chazcron macrumors member

chazcron

I have the iP5 and can't turn off the 3D in Maps. Clicking the little building icon merely returns to vertical, buildings are still rendering in 3D, which can slow down to a crawl when not wanted. In IOS 6 on a iP4, the map is totally flat, but that option, as far as I can tell, is not available for iP4S and iP5. Am I wrong about this? Is there something I am missing?

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

as far as i had read thats part of the flyover feature. I'm not sure exactly why you wouldn't be able to turn it off.

the reason iPhone 4 doesn't render in 3d is because the flyover feature is not available with that phone.

EDIT: i just tried it in a location with 3d mapping. It looks like if they have the 3d option available and you have the map on sattelite, it will always render in 3d, it just the angle that it shows when you press that building/3D button.

So yah looks like if they've done 3D mapping you can't turn it off unless you just do standard map.

3. chazcron thread starter macrumors member

chazcron

I'd call that a fail. I know the iP4 doesn't do 3D. I was comparing features of IOS on different devices and noted that the iP4 can do flat satellite. I think Apple should enable that ability on the iP4S and iP5. Flat satellite loads much quicker and draws less celluar data.