Fully Uninstall Norton AV?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by B1gMac, Mar 1, 2009.

1. B1gMac macrumors regular

B1gMac

Hey,

My college automatically installs Symantec's Norton Antivirus on all of our computers. I was trying to remove it, so I just used finder to search for everything named Norton, and trashed the files.

But, apparently, not everything is gone.

The physical program and preferences pane is gone, but it will still automatically do virus scans of anything I download. Also, there is still a little icon for it on the menu bar! (next to bluetooth and wireless status, etc.) It is really annoying.

So, is there anything I can do to get the rest of this crapware out of here?

After doing research, I discovered that in the program folder itself there was a complete-uninstaller, but now that is deleted.

Could I re-download that somewhere? Or would one of you be kindly willing to give it to me via rapidshare or torrent? Or, will it not even work because I've already deleted too much stuff, and now I have to manually figure out how to get the rest of the **** out of here?

Thanks.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well you could re-install it, then use AppCleaner to delete everything. Did you check your preferences and documents folders?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to use your computer on the college's network, then you need to obey the college's rules. If IT discovers that you have violated policy, then your computer could be banned.