Fuming over my MBP 15 2016 repair issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by graffixnyc, Oct 2, 2017.

1. graffixnyc macrumors regular

graffixnyc

I am fuming over this...

My Macbook Pro 15 started having keyboard issues, double typing letters, my shift key lost all travel, my caps lock button didn't engage/disengage all the time so I contact Apple and they have me bring it in for repair, they ship it off to repair and I get it back. The replaced the whole bottom case, The day I got it home I noticed two scratches on the top lid that were for sure not there when I brought it in for repair, I complained and they had me bring it in again this time to have the scratched up lid and display replaced,
    When I pick it up they told me what was done, he says "The top lid and display as well as the bottom case was replaced" I asked why the bottom case was replaced when they had JUST replaced it and he said it got damaged during the display repair and they had to replace it again. Ok fine.. A couple weeks later I start having keyboard issues again, this time a few keys make a "pop" sound when pressed. I contacted apple again and they again told me I had to bring it in for repair, At this point I'm pissed off.. I email Tim Cook and get a response from Executive relations, I ask for a replacement because I don't want to go in for a repair a 3rd time be without a computer again for a week etc.., He told me that was not an option but he would oversee the repair and have it have a 2 day turnaround time to not inconvenience me too much..

I get it home tonight. Everything seems great except my BT mouse won't connect. I then check and it's still showing it's paired but won't connect. I unpair it and put the mouse in pairing mode. My Macbook does not detect it. It does not detect any BT device now! I had put 3 other BT devices in pairing mode and the MBP did not pick detect a single one, my phone detected them all, my daughters MBP 13 detected them all so now in this repair they seem to have broken BT completely. I have tried resetting smc and nvram and nothing.

I am infuriated. I am demanding a replacement machine now. I'm not dealing with having to bring it in for a 4th time for a repair. I emailed and called the executive relations guy but it was already after hours so I'm assuming I'll get a callback tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do? I mean this is getting a bit ridiculous. At this point am I in the right to demand a replacement machine? Is there any other action I can take? Obviously, they can't repair it right.. this will be the 4th repair if they make me bring it again. Is the Executive Relations guy my only shot?

2. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

I feel your pain. My 2016 15” is at Apple for repair for the third time. I’ve gotten no responses from my emails to the Tim Cook account. Maybe I need to up my level of enthusiasm.

My keyboard got to the point where I had to just use it in clamshell mode all of the time. I took it in to the Apple Store near where I live a few times before and of course they coudn’t reproduce the issues I was having. Then on the road on a video shoot a section of the keyboard stopped working. I had somebody take it to the Oklahoma City store so I’m not sure what they did (probably blew it with air, like I’ve done a few times). The keyboard issues continued.

I sent it in for the keyboard, which they apparently diagnosed as fine. Next I sent it in because my right fan sounded like a metronome, then the next day sent it back because the X key was double registering or not registering at all. The key wouldn’t “click” back up so you could just move your finger and spew out Xs. Sometimes it would register only on release. It seemed different than the times the other keys stopped working.

The arrow through the heart was getting a 2017 for live production at work and the keyboard was instantly and noticeably better to me than the one on my personal 2016. It sucks a high, hard one and I don’t know if there is much I can do at this point since I bought it months ago, missing the AppleCare+ cutoff by 7 days, as it goes with me.

On the plus side I’m finding that I can do quite a bit with my iPad Pro...of course it’s not the same as my “Albatross” which is what I’ve named my MBP.

The keyboard really worries me and I wish more that I’d just waited and gotten an iMac and kept using one of my older MBPs.

3. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hey. I’ve had my 2012 MacBook Pro retina replaced after having 3 major repairs and needing a 4th one. I contacted Apple’s Customer Relations and received a mid-2015 MacBook Pro. (Latest at the time) February 2016. But now I’ve got 3 screen replacements and a bottom case replaced. Totaling up to the actual cost of the computer now on this replacement laptop.

With you guys, it’s more then appropriate to contact Apple customer relations. If you have 3 major components replaced and In need of another part replacement contact them. But if the issue is constantly happening and they are not able to diagnose. Call customer relations. I think they can carry out and force the replacement of that component possibly or even the computer

4. smbu2000 macrumors regular

If you don’t mind not having AppleCare+, but still want the regular AppleCare then you should still be eligible.

“As for the Mac, customers who have had their Macs for longer than 60 days but less than a year are not eligible for AppleCare+ but are still able to purchase a standard AppleCare Protection Plan, MacRumors has learned. Apple is only offering AppleCare+ for Mac on its website, so customers will need to call in to Apple Support to make the standard AppleCare purchase. Standard Mac AppleCare is priced at $149 to $349, depending on the machine. ”

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/21/applecare-plus-mac-iphone-60-day-purchase-limit/

You won’t have the accidental coverage like +, but it will cover the standard stuff and it is slightly cheaper I believe.

I haven’t had any problems with my 2016 15” mbp, but I’m glad to have the extra coverage (non +, standard AppleCare) in case problems do crop with these first gen machines.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I think it is reasonable in this case to kindly request they consider replacing the machine.

6. graffixnyc thread starter macrumors regular

graffixnyc

They are giving me a new machine. My old one was a 2016 2.7ghz with a Radeon 455 graphics card and 512gb HD. They are giving me a 2017 2.8ghz with 512gb HD and Radeon 555

7. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
  8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

Yep, thanks for noting that. At first I was sort of miffed that I missed the accidental coverage window, but I’ve been pretty good with my Macs in the past (knocking on wood, of course), though I’m extra worried with this whole keyboard thing. My 2016 is eligible for the old AppleCare coverage, which I will be taking advantage on before the first year is up, and at the academic price.

My 2016 MBP has been in “repair in progress” for three days now, so I’m wondering what they are doing. At least they’ve finally agreed with me that something is up with that computer. Mine is a 2.6/1TB/460 from last year, so that may throw a wrench in things. If I don’t have an update by tomorrow that means I won’t be getting it until next week, then I’ll unleash my flying monkeys in Apple’s direction.

I do need it for work, but thankfully I’m in a position where I can use one of the ones I manage at my job. They are from the 2010-2011 era, but it’s better than nothing and most people don’t have that luxury. The display on the news ones sure has ruined me for older monitors...

I’m glad to see the OP’s issues were addressed. That gets my hopes up that I may see something similar on this, or the next, repair.

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Glad to hear. While it sounds like your initial experiences were less-than-stellar, Apple Customer support usually ultimately comes through, and it sounds like they came through in a big way here.

10. graffixnyc thread starter macrumors regular

graffixnyc

Yeah at first I was happy, But I'm not too sure now. It seems like I'm getting the lower end CPU. My 2.7 was a 6820HQ so it has 8mb of L3 Smart cache and some other features that the 7700HQ that they are replacing it with does not have. I mean it's awesome they are replacing it but I don't know how I feel about getting the lower end CPU :-/ Really, I should be getting the 2.9 with the 7820HQ since that is the same model as my cpu (just 7th gen instead of 6th)

11. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I see what you are saying since you had the higher CPU tier. You could always request they take this under consideration, but IIRC there is like a 3% performance difference between the three CPUs, IIRC the 7700 is still a (small) upgrade over the 6820, and they are replacing the machine outright (rather than attempting to fix it again), after all - to Apple's credit, not all Makers would do this. All are outstanding performers. Both the 7700 and 7820 are going to give you some efficiency improvements and HEVC, as an improvement over your current system (not to mention you are getting a 2017 keyboard, which I am convinced has dramatically reduced issues based on how few 2017s we have checked in.)

It's your system so you should absolutely do whatever makes you most happy, but, if it were me, personally, I wouldn't let this bother me. YMMV.

12. graffixnyc, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

graffixnyc thread starter macrumors regular

graffixnyc

Yeah, I'm trying to get them to agree to giving me the 2.9 7820HQ. When I first asked I had mentioned that it was the same price as what my 2.7ghz was and he said they went by the specs of the old machine and not by the price which I understand, but then I noticed that the 2.8 is the 7700HQ so I just sent them an email saying they did say it goes by spec and the 7820HQ is closer to my spec than the 7700HQ is and listed my reasons, the L3 cache etc.. and mentioned that the 7700HQ is a lower end chip. Maybe that will get them to agree to the 7820HQ. He did say that it's the system that tells them what to replace it with and the 2.8ghz 7700HQ is what the system says to replace my 6820 with. I'm going to try hard to get them to approve the 7820 based on the reasons I gave.

Re: the keyboard on the 2017, Since they replaced my bottom case recently for KB issues, I wonder if they are using the newer 2017 KB when they swap out the bottom case or if they use a 2016 version.

UPDATE: He called me back about my request and since he is an executive relations guy he said he wasn't technical enough to know about the things I mentioned. He said he will have to check with their engineering team and see if my concern about the lower end chip is valid and if they say ok, then I'll get the 7820HQ. If they say no, then my option is to either take the 2.8 7700HQ or have mine repaired again. So I'm hoping the see the differences and approve my request for the 7820HQ since spec wise it's closer to my current CPU than the 7700HQ is.

13. nikster0029 macrumors 6502a

nikster0029

Holy cow I would have just accepted it dude

14. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Take the free one that they're offering you, smile, and be happy.

Walk out the door whistlin' with a grin on your face!

15. graffixnyc thread starter macrumors regular

graffixnyc

I'm glad I asked for the 2.9ghz 7820HQ model. Engineering approved it and agreed with me and my reasoning. I'm also going to upgrade the cpu to the 3.1 and the ssd to 1tb, I just have to pay the difference which is $600, but I have $150 apple gift card so I'm using that and paying 450 for the upgrades