Fun Pic i Took Today

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chrisburke, Nov 18, 2008.

1. chrisburke macrumors newbie

Got the nifty 50 (Nikkor 50mm f1.8) today.. this was the first pic I took with it (click for full size)
    Click for full size
    [​IMG]

2. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

Well I like it. But I'd like to see a little more sky i think.

3. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

I agree with chewbaccacabra and also your horizon is a bit tilted but not bad. I LOVE my nifty fifty, its pretty much all I use :D

4. wheelhot macrumors 68000

I have the feeling that's its HDR unless the sky is already that dark to begin with.

5. svndmvn Guest

the EXIF data says it's been through Photoshop and the OP posted a wrong link on the HDR thread if i'm not mistaking.
    The result is nice even though I have the impression it's been generated from one or a few JPEGs, dunno, that would explain some of the noise
    My point, though, is that the use of the lens used would be a wider aperture/ shallower DOF, f6.7 that seems used for this pic, is available on a kit lens, I think

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Fun pic! Popular subject, here's a pic I took 2 years ago =)

[​IMG]

7. chrisburke thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, this is an HDR... its made for 4 different exposure (-4, -2, 0, 2, 4) I agree on the comment about th DOF.. i had literally JUST bought the lens, slapped it on my camera, and took the picture... i had messed with anything yet, as I just threw it on program mode for the heck of getting a picture to see the quality of the lens (nifty 50)

as for the comment on the sky ('i would like to see more sky') if that was the focus of this image, I would totally agree, but the focus is the tracks..

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but an application of the rule of thirds would make it look more balanced, even if the lower 2/3s are the tracks/ground and the upper third the sky.

9. svndmvn Guest

anyone else think these would look nice in portrait mode? vertically or whatever you prefer calling it..the railway could still occupy 2/3s of the pic and there could be some trees as well and some more sky

10. jpfisher macrumors regular

I agree witht he comments on the framing and tilt... bring the camera closer to the ground, too -- that might help.

Don't really agree with the suggestions to open it up for a shallow depth of field -- I'm not sure what selective focus would accomplish here. Nothing wrong with the aperture.

Just because a lens can shoot at f/1.8, it doesn't mean you have to do so for every shot...

11. chrisburke thread starter macrumors newbie

this was my immediate reaction to that comment to

12. NintendoChick macrumors regular

Ha, that was about to be my reply... :D

13. svndmvn Guest

where was I suggesting a shallower DOF? I was just saying the picture had nothing to do with your new Lens, as you could get the same picture with your kit lens..the picture talks more about your Photoshop/Photomatix License

14. chrisburke thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, it could have been acheived with my kit lens.. however, it wouldnt be as nice a picture, because this lens is much clearer than my kit lens... as stated, just because it goes to 1.8 doesnt mean i have to use it all the time

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Straighten it so it's level... Nothing kills a picture faster than a skewed horizon line or other feature we'd assume to be level (the closest track tie for example).