Fun Project: MacBook Unibody --> MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iDutchman, Apr 23, 2012.

1. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Fun Project:

I had a dead water damaged MacBook Pro 13" 2010 (looking new!) given for free. I knew the only dead part was the logic board so I went ahead and looked for some fun project.

I found an late 2008 MacBook unibody with a dead screen for €275 euro's. I went ahead and bought the MacBook. The outer casing had no visible damage whatsoever and there were no signs of a water spill.

So far so good!

The took the MacBook Pro apart and installed the screen onto the MacBook. Also, I took the backlight from the MacBook Pro as well as the little backlight keys and installed them as well! I had some 8GB 1333Mhz RAM lying around and the 128GB APPLE SSD that was inside the given MacBook Pro still worked, so I installed that as well!

Now, I have a late 2008 MacBook looking like a 2009+ MacBook Pro 13''. The only difference is on the bottom (user-removable battery).

Specs:

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8GB 1333Mhz RAM
    128GB APPLE (Toshiba) SSD
    Nvidia 9400M 256MB graphics.

Pretty nice for 275 euro's eh?! Just wanted to share!

Attached Files:

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

This is awesome. Looks like it'd be worth it just for the higher resolution screen, how hard was it to connect the screen into the original MacBook? I definitely have thought about making this mod for the resolution upgrade alone (the upgraded resolution would be perfect).

3. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is no resolution upgrade. It's just the name that's changed;). It's the identical screen

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I got to hand it to you this was a great idea. It looks great and all for 275 euros! Much cheaper than replacing the logic board. Kudos for the idea.

5. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Ah bummer, on a positive note though you definitely got your moneys worth and a working MacBook! :D

6. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Woah, I litteraly always wanted to try this but didn't have the skill! Nice

7. SuperDuperCruzr macrumors newbie

13 inch Macbook Unibody & 13 inch Macbook Pro Unibody

I'd like to upgrade my Macbook Pro Unibody to use the 2-piece bottom cover from a Macbook Unibody. It looks possible when I removed the 1-piece bottom cover of the Macbook Pro, but I don't have a Macbook Unibody to compare any longer. Can you confirm this modification? This would be a sweet modification for Macbook Pro users that want to easily swap a second battery when on travel.

8. imageWIS macrumors 65816

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

How hard was the transplant job? I am looking to do something similar. I have built several PCs but I am wary of fiddling around inside laptops. Do you think this job is within my skills?

As an example, I've replaced the hard drive on two ibooks - a job which required total disassembly of the laptop (and killed one :eek::eek: