Fun Quotes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by compuwar, Oct 25, 2011.

1. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

A photographer was looking for quotes to put up at their studio recently and that caused me to spend some time looking through photography quotes- here are a few I particularly like...

Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be. -Duane Michals

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. -Lewis Hine

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. -Author Unknown

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -Ansel Adams

Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to say. -Author Unknown

Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. – Imogen Cunningham

Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst. – Henri Cartier-Bresson

I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field. – Rick Steves

Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn’t photogenic. -Edward Weston

A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it. – Edward Steichen

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -Ansel Adams

Paul

2. simsaladimbamba

Good quotes.
    I guess this one should be upped, as in the day of digital photography, 10,000 photos can be reached much faster using film.
    I consider myself an okay amateur photographer, but still lacking good people shots, and even I haven't shot more than five thousand photos on film (since 2000), but with a DSLR I have taken 10,000 pictures in less than two years, many many photos only varying a little bit, as you can shoot more and select later.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

“Now, to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.” - Edward Weston

I had a photography teacher who used to say this quote and he never said who said it. One day I stumbled upon the quote and found out it was not original to him. Wanker.

“I find the single most valuable tool in the darkroom is my trash can.” – John Sexton

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Good topic, Paul!

May I contribute three, all by Richard Avedon?

A portrait is not a likeness. The moment an emotion or fact is transformed into a photograph it is no longer a fact but an opinion. There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph. All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth. - Richard Avedon

My portraits are more about me than they are about the people I photograph. - Richard Avedon

A photographic portrait is a picture of someone who knows he’s being photographed, and what he does with this knowledge is as much a part of the photograph as what he’s wearing or how he looks. He’s implicated in what’s happened, and he has a certain real power over the result. - Richard Avedon

5. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

My favourite quote is by Dorothea Lange, who photographed the farming communities during the Great Depression. “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera”...

6. compuwar thread starter macrumors 601

compuwar

Probably, but the sentiment is what counts to me!

That could be taken either way- very thought provoking!

I was hoping people would chime in with more- lightly pondering some of these is a good thing for me- it serves as motivation!

Nice one!

Paul

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Not so long ago, the opposite of that would have seemed more true to me.

8. Grey Beard, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

"Old photographers don't die - they go out of focus."
    Patrick, Lord Lichfield

Lord Lichfield was also reputed when asked how he became a photographer said,

In the same way that a woman becomes a prostitute. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends and finally I did it for money.

KGB