Fun story when buying iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a ROb, Aug 14, 2007.

1. I'm a ROb macrumors member

Hi,

I've been visiting this forum for over a year or something, but never posted. Now I've got a fun story to share with you.

Last week I went to the Apple Store to order 2 new iMacs and some accessories. When I was talking to this salesman while he was preparing the quote, he asked whether I was familiar to the Mac. My response: I've been using a Mac since System 7+, so yeah, I know my way around. He now realised I was a MacFan too and he grabbed a iPhone and handed it over saying: "then you'll probably like this as well". So I could have a first experience on the iPhone. NOTE: I'm living in the Netherlands and Apple doesn't sell them in Europe yet! But apparently they are already there for the Apple people to try out.

Next:
    I was asking about the new iLife and iWork. They just had iLife 08 installed on one iMac showroom model. So I first played a bit around with the new iPhoto. The new iWork was installed on a different computer. He went back to the counter and grabbed a MBP. He himself hadn't had the time to look at iWork yet, so we were trying it out together. I then noticed: the menubar looks a bit odd.... and so does the dock. He explained: "well... this is Leopard" :D

So my trip to the Apple Store gave me a sneak preview into the iPhone, Leopard and getting to use iLife and iWork.

BTW, this is the quote I got (price in euros ex 19% VAT):
    2 x iMac 24" 2.4 GHz: 2939,50
    1 x iPod 30 GB: 226,05
    1 x iPod universal dock: FREE
    1 x Canon Pixma MP600: 155,42
    1 x AppleCare iPod: FREE
    2 x 1 GB Memory: 150
    Total: 3470,97

One iMac and the printer are meant for my father. The other iMac and the iPod are mine. As discount we got the dock and the AppleCare.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

And why didn't you take some pictures with your camera:mad: Just kidding. Did Leopard look awesome? How long were you able to play around with it? Although I'd imagine that it was the same version that the developers have now no? Either way, thanks for sharing with us:cool:

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As they say, pics or it didn't happen. I just find it hard to believe that they would have access to Leopard in an Apple store... ya know?

4. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think it was the same version that the developers have now. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

6. I'm a ROb thread starter macrumors member

I never expected this to happen, so I didn't take my camera with me (besides: I don't even own a digital camera). I already handed the iPhone back to the guy, so I couldn't use that one either (I don't think he would let me, but that's another point). I had the impression they only had one iPhone in the store that they kept behind the counter / out of sight.

The MBP with Leopard also came from behind the counter and it sure was no showroom-model. It was a lazy Wednesday-afternoon and there was just one person in the store besides me. I seemed that they used the MBP themselves to play around with Leopard. I don't think it was mend to be shown to the public / customers.

I suppose it isn't that weird that Apple Stores have a developer copy of Leopard. In October they should be able to tell the customers what's new and how it works. On the other hand: it might as well be that they didn't got Leopard from Apple, but from *somewhere else* (wherever that is).

My experience:
    - I played around for about 10 minutes, but for the main part we were focussed on Numbers and on how to do an xy-scatter plot. After I noticed it was Leopard he showed me the new OS and I didn't touch it anymore :(
    - The menu bar was transparent: ugly (that's what caught my attention)
    - Dock: looks nice 3D
    - Quick look: useful!
    - Spaces: we tried spaces with numbers, but something went wrong. Spaces went back and forth between two screens. Perhaps a window was positioned halfway in or so?? We hade to *force quit* spaces.
    - Coverflow: when browsing through an ordinary folder it's a little bit dull; like coverflow with iTunes if you don't have any album-art.

The guy further told me that network browsing was enhanced (didn't show it) and that Leopard still was a little buggy. I don't know what build was installed.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Your phone doesn't have a camera? That's what I was talking about.

8. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Aww man come on, give the guy a break!:)

9. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Right on, way to schmooze the apple guy to get freebies:D
    I've had reseller employees show off equipment that wasn't on display (personal computers), that is how I compared a matte 17" reg. res. to a 17" hd glossy:D Now I'm getting the hd in glossy too:D
    Good for you, glad you got a good experience

10. David G. macrumors 6502a

I wish I had that kind of luck. But first Apple has to build a store somewhere in Alaska.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It was probably his own laptop. Its not exactly hard for somebody to go and download a copy for themselves, a lot of non-developers are running Leopard just for fun until the real version comes out. I doubt its an "official" copy given to apple stores.

12. I'm a ROb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, didn't think of that one. But no... my phone doesn't have a camera. I'm still using a 5 year old cell phone. I'm just using it for making phone calls, SMS, occasionally as alarm clock and flash light. Compared to that, the iPhone has an overkill of features for me.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Now, we can never have too many features...just kidding. I know where you're coming from. Sometimes one feature too many can turn you off of that device.