Fun thread: How could Apple use ARM in a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zackmd1, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

So I might get some flame for this but I think it is a fun question... With the "report" that the A10 can match or exceed low power intel processors in "some" usage cases, how could Apple incorporate ARM in MacBooks? Now this was a thought I had but please, anyone with more experience/knowledge on microarch... and computer coding feel free to shoot this idea down.

What if Apple could include a small X86 processor core in an ARM design similar to the A10 Fusion processor with its smaller power efficient cores? So the x86 core/s could act as a translator for all x86 apps to run on an ARM processor without the need for software emulation?

That way Apple can use ARM where it is a benefit (mobile) while desktops can still use x86 all without any software emulation.

2. Johbremat macrumors regular

Have the A10 as a co-processor and pipe iOS to a window. Either provide keyboard and mouse inputs to replace touch, or install a touch-enabled display to support iOS input and gestures.

Could also be used to power Siri and any resulting effort it would commit (voice commands; voice actions) and manage the any touchbar they install in line of the Fn row.

A lower power mode could be that that touchbar still operates while macOS (and iOS emulation) are off. Could do...something?