Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I have a 2018 MBP/32GB/512/Vega20 and travel extensively.

That said, when I am home I'd like to have a top-notch setup centered around the MBP.

I have no experience using anything but my laptop for gaming (note: I only play WoW Classic).

I assume it would be an external monitor, stand for the MBP, gaming mouse, keyboard, headset, mic, right?

What's the top of your list or link to the sweet setup?

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Honestly all the games I play (League of Legends, WoW Classic, Overwatch, Hearthstone, etc) are pretty easy to play and run quietly to dead silent on my MBP in Windows Bootcamp power saving mode. It's pretty much all I need but I have been toying with the idea of an iMac or MBP with an external GPU lately. Not sure if i'd use wired or wireless gaming peripherals but they're pretty damn good these days. If I wanted to stream I may run into issues too, i've heard the eGPUs for some reason aren't being used or used efficiently with OBS, not sure if that'll get better in Catalina or not but i'm hopeful. But yeah one of those would be nice, wish I could afford the new Pro display but it's just not in the cards lol

Also with how much I play hard on my MBP keyboard i'm surprised I haven't had any issues yet.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah... it isn't so much the demand that I'm working on... honestly I don't need this much power, but I have it. Even with Parallels open in a Win10 VM running a 200k table ingest from Salesforce to PowerBI and a significant amount of query editing to other online hosted sources (various) + normal MacOS office apps + WoW Classic.... I don't even come close.

I am looking to really set up a gaming station though....

Here's what I am starting with and will exchange / return from here:

TwelveSouth MacBook Pro Stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07377XVNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Corsair Harpoon RGB Mouse: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQWR72Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
USB-C Hub: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HMLTCPL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Desk Microphone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KL6ZLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Desk-mounted Boom for Mic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZKGZ5X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
27" Curved 1080p Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNMNWSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Monitor Desk Mount: https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Premium-Adjustable-Capacity-GSDM001/dp/B0779JSRH5
Magic Keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QO64FI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Headphones, Sony WH-1000MX3: https://bit.ly/2A1XzGv

I don't want a huge monitor as it is a huge change for me to move from a 15" screen... so we'll see how that goes!

Last edited:

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Why would you buy a top of the line MacBook Pro and then cheap out on the monitor?

If you're really committed, you'll need an eGPU, a 144hz 1440p monitor, proper studio monitors and not those overrated Sony headphones... I don't see why you need any of it just to play some WoW when you already seem to think the 15" monitor is large.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Why would you buy a top of the line MacBook Pro and then cheap out on the monitor?

If you're really committed, you'll need an eGPU, a 144hz 1440p monitor, proper studio monitors and not those overrated Sony headphones... I don't see why you need any of it just to play some WoW when you already seem to think the 15" monitor is large.

What do you mean cheap-out? The size or specs? If specs, what should I be chasing that I didn't get that matter for the use-case mentioned above?

Re: Sony Headphones: not overrated at all for the use case I bought them for (do you travel on airplanes a lot?). I'm guessing from your comment though that I won't like them for gaming?

Re: Why I need any of that? I can afford it and I think I'd enjoy an increasingly immersive experience.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Your dream set up kind of depends on what you want... I'm more then fine with gaming on my internal display and using my keyboard. A nice mouse is pretty much a must if you play WoW. The rest is situational. If you go all the way out with a dedicated gaming station, you can also do an extra step and get a small mini-itx gaming PC.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Your dream set up kind of depends on what you want... I'm more then fine with gaming on my internal display and using my keyboard. A nice mouse is pretty much a must if you play WoW. The rest is situational. If you go all the way out with a dedicated gaming station, you can also do an extra step and get a small mini-itx gaming PC.

No doubt on the mouse. Funny I bought some master-blaster Logitech mouse and the thing is so heavy... exchanging it for the much smaller Corsair.. maybe too small. Will see!

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
What do you mean cheap-out? The size or specs? If specs, what should I be chasing that I didn't get that matter for the use-case mentioned above?

Re: Why I need any of that? I can afford it and I think I'd enjoy an increasingly immersive experience.

If gaming is super important to you, I would not be sticking with a low end 1080p display. Go for at least 1440p (which WoW should run at fine on your MacBook) and high refresh rate - 120-144hz. It’s hard to put into words how much better games feel at that refresh rate. Even for WoW which hardly needs quick reaction time.

In general I just don’t enjoy noise cancelling headphones, but I guess that’s a personal preference. I’d prefer the soundstage of open back for gaming but that was a poor response.

Last edited:

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
If gaming is super important to you, I would not be sticking with a low end 1080p display. Go for at least 1440p (which WoW should run at fine on your MacBook) and high refresh rate - 120-144hz. It’s hard to put into words how much better games feel at that refresh rate. Even for WoW which hardly needs quick reaction time.

In general I just don’t enjoy noise cancelling headphones, but I guess that’s a personal preference. I’d prefer the soundstage of open back for gaming but that was a poor response.

Gotcha.. it's funny... I've read so many of the "you can't game" on a MBP... that I just assumed the lower res was what I had to do!

Re: The headphones... we'll see. I personally love noise cancelling as external noise really bothers me (which is why I fly with them... every. freaking. week.) but my kids have some non-NC relatively expensive headphones for the xbox... so maybe I'll try those on once this is all set up!

I actually have no issue with your original comment - I posted the thread for feedback. I've build PCs and been what I'd say is a "consumer electronics super user" for a long time... but building this is out of my knowledge space.

I'm enjoying it and assuming I'll be returning a # of things I bought to find better options. Searching monitors right now... trying to stay around that 27" and I know I like a curve...
[doublepost=1568652423][/doublepost]

Last edited:

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011

Found this 27” monitor with those specs... arrives tomorrow. We shall see!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-cjg5-gaming-monitor-awesome-at-a-bargain-price/

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is there are reason you want the Sony headphones? I just got a set and I am probably going to send them back.

They have too many compromises for me. To start with they can only be paired to one device, so it you want to answer/make a call while using you computer you cannot use the headphones without dropping the computer connection, and then pairing to your phone. Also, they are not the most comfortable and voice quality on call is poor when in a quiet room, unusable if there is background noise.

I will probably go back to my 4 year old old QC-35s for on the go use, and use my Senn HD 280 Pros for my desktop meetings and recording where a wireless connection is not needed.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Is there are reason you want the Sony headphones? I just got a set and I am probably going to send them back.

They have too many compromises for me. To start with they can only be paired to one device, so it you want to answer/make a call while using you computer you cannot use the headphones without dropping the computer connection, and then pairing to your phone. Also, they are not the most comfortable and voice quality on call is poor when in a quiet room, unusable if there is background noise.

I will probably go back to my 4 year old old QC-35s for on the go use, and use my Senn HD 280 Pros for my desktop meetings and recording where a wireless connection is not needed.

Yes, two reasons specifically. One more important than the other.

1. I find their NC better than my QC-35s (own them) for airplane commute noise. My Sony's literally take the entire noise away.

2. I LOVE the hand over the right can to allow audio passthrough. I use this with flight attendants and other similar situations regularly.

I'm not s super audiophile, but I love music... and listen to at least a couple hours a day.. I don't find the Sony's to be worse than my QC-35s. I also use neither for voice calls. I use my AirPods for those.

For device switching with my Sony's, here is my workflow. In this situation I'm connected to my iPhone and want to connect to my, say, MacBook.

Turn off headphones with long press to power button
Long press power on button until "pairing" sound
go to bluetooth icon on MacBook doc
Mouseover device and click connect

I don't find it terribly inconvenient but I also only switch devices a few times a week (switch back to iPhone or iPad on first flight of week... switch to desktop in hotel room.. switch back to iphone/ipad on flight home).

Regarding comfort, totally personal, I find them incredibly comfortable. I read a couple reviews that said long sessions gave fatigue. I did a transcontinental flight a few months back and had them on for 5-6 hours straight... no issues!

And here is my #1 thing I love about them... usb-c Charging. Yes I know I could get an adapter for the QC-35s. But simple things matter... My entire cord bag to charge MBP, iPad Pro, iPhone, external battery, AirPods, Sony's...

it's just 2 chargers... USB-C and Lightning. I saved 1.2lb to my cord bag when I consolidated to USB-C and switched to the Anker GaN 60 2xUSB-C brick.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
And here is my #1 thing I love about them... usb-c Charging. Yes I know I could get an adapter for the QC-35s. But simple things matter... My entire cord bag to charge MBP, iPad Pro, iPhone, external battery, AirPods, Sony's...

it's just 2 chargers... USB-C and Lightning.

I definitely love the USB-C. I have a 30 Watt generic I carry and the 87Watt for my 15 MBP. Add a couple of USB-C certified cables and I am done. Since upgrading my iPad pro I don't have to worry about lightning. Hoping never to see another Lightning or USB-micro cable.

Still trying to like the Sony headphones but failing. I think music is better with Sony. But, I got a call while watching YouTube video this AM and had to forget about using the Sony's. Also, not thrilled with Bose 700s, sort of half done work in progress. The QC 35 have done 6 long International legs this year and done well. Love sleeping in the air with them on.

Flying domestically tomorrow, so maybe I will take the Sony's along to give them one more shot. If that does not work, back to Amazon. I hear the XM4s are coming out soon, so maybe retry Sony when those ship.

Reactions: TriApple

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Update here on headphones. The Sony MX3's are "fine" for this. Here's the rub though... I ordered a pair of Audeze Mobius.... now all my other headphones sound like junk.

You can hear such incredible detail and the soundstage (especially in 3d mode) is so wide. I can't get over the price, but man... it think they may be worth it. It is like the upgrade from SD to HD in video. You can't watch the other any more...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Update here on headphones. The Sony MX3's are "fine" for this. Here's the rub though... I ordered a pair of Audeze Mobius.... now all my other headphones sound like junk.

You can hear such incredible detail and the soundstage (especially in 3d mode) is so wide. I can't get over the price, but man... it think they may be worth it. It is like the upgrade from SD to HD in video. You can't watch the other any more...

Interesting headset. Looks good for gamining. But I need ANC and BT for inflight use.

FWIW I sent the Sony's back. Too much bass bias, single BT connection, weird shutoff of ANC, and no BT5 were killers. Going back to my old Bose QC 35s and see what 2020 brings.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Interesting headset. Looks good for gamining. But I need ANC and BT for inflight use.

FWIW I sent the Sony's back. Too much bass bias, single BT connection, weird shutoff of ANC, and no BT5 were killers. Going back to my old Bose QC 35s and see what 2020 brings.

Totally with you... I'm not traveling with the Audeze. I will tell you though, they call them a gaming headset because that's their marketing angle. The music quality is insane. I put my MX3s, QC25s, and QC15s on after... it was so muddy. And I am NOT an audiophile.. it was that evident.

I do hope someone gets it right for the travel crowd in 2020.

Must haves:

- Top-tier ANC
- USB-C
- Multiple bluetooth, simultaneous
- BT5 for additional range (I'm sure there are other reasons, but I would like the range)

As you and I have said... there's nothing on the market that hits that right now.

I will leave you with this... and I seriously mean it... if you love music... don't try to Audeze... I have a 10-day trip starting this weekend with, across the 10 days, 10 segments including 1 transcon... I'm not sure how the Sony will sound now that I've been listening music with the Audeze.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.