Fun with Craigslist Scammer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jazwire, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Looking at CL today, I came across someone selling a:
    15" Unibody MacBook Pro, 2,66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb Memory, 320 Gb HD, iSight Camera - $550
    Also had Applcare care through June 1 st.

Ok granted it screams to good to be true, but says local pick up only,will not ship, I thought maybe it was just someone really desperate...Anyway...

Here is the email response: (edited out the fluff to shorten post)
    -----------------------------------------
    Hi, I am getting back to you regarding the 15" MacBook Pro from Craigslist
    My name is Arianna and I am now in Wolverhampton, United Kingdom.
    I am selling the 15" MacBook Pro, with 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb memory, 220 Gb HD for $350 USD. The laptop still has Applecare warranty this Feb. The Applecare warranty is fully transferable to the new owner.
    Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.
    Thanks,
    Arianna
    ------------------------------------
    And here is my response. :)

------------------------------------
    Greetings,

#1)You said local pick up only for St Louis , Mo.USA Did you magically , have an unplanned trip to the U.K a few moments after you made this post on CL, aboard a US fighter jet? Since you couldn't fly to the UK that quick on any commercial airline.

#2) You replied with a different laptop than the one I replied about , though similar story. First rule on scamming and lies, Keep your scams/lies straight.

#3) Sure, I'll take the laptop just email me photocopies of all you personal info and I'll wire the money from my Nigerian bank account, I just inherited a bunch of money there helping out a foreign diplomat in a bind there.

Nice try ... I guess he reason you do this, is that there really are people retarded enough to fall for this crap.

Thanks for the entertainment ,
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway, made my night...

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Oh you didnt take out a little bit longer the best is when you start getting them to send pictures. That's where the fun really begins. Anyway that was good for a LOL. :p

3. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

OMG I have been having the exact same email game with her as well...toooo funny. She is trying to sell the same on here in PA for 350. If you look at her ad it does look quite legit until you dig a little deeper. I keep asking her when I may see the MB in person and keep getting the same scripted response of how great it is and how everything is included ...blah blah blah. She will never answer my question. I really like her screen shot of the system specs with the serial number blacked out...LOL

4. stumpjumperstev macrumors newbie

that's crazy...we have the same spammer hitting the DFW area. She's selling a 14" iBook G4, with 1.42 Ghz G4 processor, 1 Gb memory, 120 Gb HD for $200 USD.

Seemed legit until the email response about living in the UK.

Too funny.

5. coast1ja macrumors 6502

If she does send you pictures, I bet they will have the expresscard slot... Not the sd slot like all 2.66 MBPs... I ripped her for that one. If you're going to scam, at least be smart about it!

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I like to tell them I just moved there too! Then I ask about picking it up in person.

Never had a response for some reason.....

7. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

You sure she's not selling a MacBook P-P-P-Pro!!!!! ?

8. thomanjones macrumors regular

Best reverse scam ever. (have an hour to kill? google ppp powerbook :)

9. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Sadly, neither M-M-M-MacBook Pro!!!! nor MacBook P-P-P-Pro!!!! have the same ring as P-P-P-PowerBook!!! I think it's that space that throws it off.