Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
well, I was doing some dishes this afternoon, and thought 'I wonder what it looks like immediately after you turn on the water in the sink — so I took a picture!

img07072li.jpg

This one is a drop of water just falling from the faucet:

img06938sb.jpg

(Both: Canon DRebel, 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 1600)

:)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Those are both awesome picture OutThere761. ;) Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Deefuzz said:
oooh pretty! Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna go take some similar pics with those same specs!

If you have a lot of light, you can go even faster — 1/1000 of a second or more, which would freeze the motion more. I was taking these in some pretty dismal light, which limited how fast I could make my shutter. :)

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
OutThere761 said:
If you have a lot of light, you can go even faster — 1/1000 of a second or more, which would freeze the motion more. I was taking these in some pretty dismal light, which limited how fast I could make my shutter. :)

Yeah I was taking in pretty bad light myself...Ill post my results when I get home. I just got a Digital Rebel for Christmas so I am still learning it...it is going to take me some time!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Deefuzz said:
my bad attempt...Also bad lighting :/

faucet2.jpg

That's quite a nice picture...though I would have one suggestion. I recently discovered the WB button, just south of the ISO button, which allows you to use the wheel to scroll through different settings for white balance, which really helps get rid of the yellow tone that stuff gets inside. With that on, set for the kind of lights that you have on, you can greatly improve the clarity and color accuracy of the whites in the picture. I figured it out after shooting a whole bunch of really ugly looking shots of my dog. :eek:

Have Fun! :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
daveway00 said:
My Canon A series camera is great but the lag time is too high for this kind of stuff. BTW I used your pic as my desktop. :cool:

Have you tried the manual focus mode, and burst frame mode. It might be worth looking into, depend on which A model you have.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
daveway00 said:
Its an A40 soon to be A95. I fool with manual controls sometimes but not to fluent with the controls.

Not sure about the A40, but the A95 should be able to do some of what you see. You just have to try the controls.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
OutThere761 said:
That's quite a nice picture...though I would have one suggestion. I recently discovered the WB button, just south of the ISO button, which allows you to use the wheel to scroll through different settings for white balance, which really helps get rid of the yellow tone that stuff gets inside. With that on, set for the kind of lights that you have on, you can greatly improve the clarity and color accuracy of the whites in the picture. I figured it out after shooting a whole bunch of really ugly looking shots of my dog. :eek:

Have Fun! :)

Thanks for the tip! I gave it a shot, took a whole bunch to try to improve it, but not too sure I could make TOO much of a difference with my bathroom sink. Heres the new bathroom shot I took, the best one out of all the ones I took IMO:

faucet4.jpg

Then I took the camera into the kitchen to try that sink, I thought I could get some better ones in there, and generally I like the shots I took in the kitchen better than the ones in the bathroom...Here is my best kitchen shot:

faucet3.jpg

Thanks or getting me started on this OutThere, and thanks for any comments anyone chooses to give

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Wow, those are really cool shots! Made me think about getting a digital camera finally... again. I've been thinking of getting one for the past two years, but other stuff keep getting in the way :p :D

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
GeeYouEye said:
very nice... how do you all get the timing perfect for those shots?

Ha! I laugh in the face of timing - I prefer the use of 'brute force.' ;)

picz7dz.jpg

btw - Deefuzz - I really like the second set of shots you came up with there - especially the one from the kitchen - there is a real feeling of both motion and being suspended in anticipation. :)

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
OutThere761 said:
Ha! I laugh in the face of timing - I prefer the use of 'brute force.' ;)

btw - Deefuzz - I really like the second set of shots you came up with there - especially the one from the kitchen - there is a real feeling of both motion and being suspended in anticipation. :)

Thanks man! Thanks to your advice :)

I too used the "brute force" method :)

andypress

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
OutThere761 said:
well, I was doing some dishes this afternoon, and thought 'I wonder what it looks like immediately after you turn on the water in the sink — so I took a picture!

img07072li.jpg

This one is a drop of water just falling from the faucet:

img06938sb.jpg

(Both: Canon DRebel, 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 1600)

:)
The first one almost looks as if the water is frozen.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
The latest issue of Shutterbug had an article about use of acrylic or other 'permanently frozen' substitutes for ice, ice cubes, water, splashes, and even small droplets. Seems many professional photographers take that route to save time, so you guys that did it the hard way should be proud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.