Fun with UV filters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by compuwar, Jun 2, 2011.

1. unclet macrumors member

Thanks for sharing this. Makes me feel a bit better about shelling out a bit more cash for B+W filters.

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

GREAT find!

I can't think of a better way to illustrate the importance of high quality filters.

I have never had a filter "permanently" mounted on a lens since my first kit lens and the terrible UV filter the seller included on my Elan 7.

Despite seeing the relatively low impact on IQ the high quality filters (5 of them stacked, no less) resulted in, I still would not put a $200 piece of glass between the subject and the thousands of dollars of gear shooting the photos. I have never scratched a front element, and any damage I have done to lenses in the past would not have been reduced by a filter. However, if I was shooting in a more hazardous environment, say, the antarctic or the Sahara I would probably be singing a different tune; as some of the L lenses even require a filter to complete the "Weather-sealing".

That being said, after seeing this video I DO plan on replacing my budget ND filter with a top of the line version before my next trip!

PS- the comments in the post are hilarious- "Yep, we’ll call something like “The Dream Machine” and advertise the “soft romantic look” it gives. Plus think of the variety: don’t want a really dreamy look? Just take off 10 or 20 filters."