function keys (F1-F12) in remote desktop

no0neelse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Hi, is there a way to emulate the function keys F1-F12 in remote desktop? I'm running a program on my remote computer (win xp) that uses F9 as a shortcut, however when I press F9 expose still activates. Are there any keypresses that i can assign to emulate the F9 key?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I've come across this frustrating problem as well.. Unfortunately it looks like theres no way to do it, although I hope someone will prove me wrong. I think the only way forward for you is to remap that button in XP I'm afraid

blindzombie

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
I got it to work with fn - command - F9
or just command - F9 if you set your keyboard preferences to use F1, F2, etc as standard function keys

Reactions: jackiek

bitkahuna

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
i needed to do an Alt-F4 in remote desktop on my mbp.

thanks to this article, i figured out it's fn+option[alt]+command+f4.

found a little acronym to help me going forward...
fn+alt+command = fac

just fac it. :D

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, is there a way to emulate the function keys F1-F12 in remote desktop? I'm running a program on my remote computer (win xp) that uses F9 as a shortcut, however when I press F9 expose still activates. Are there any keypresses that i can assign to emulate the F9 key?
You want Palua. It can automatically switch function key between normal and Apple on an app-by-app basis. Works great.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/palua/id431494195?mt=12

jackiek

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
I got it to work with fn - command - F9
or just command - F9 if you set your keyboard preferences to use F1, F2, etc as standard function keys
Thank you so much, this worked perfectly! I was pulling my hair out!