Function Keys on MBP Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Dec 16, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have got a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro and it originally had OSX Tiger installed on it. I have recently installed a legitimate version of OSX Leopard on in but now the function keys on the keyboard don't work (i.e. the volume, brightness, etc).

Does anyone have any idea why this might be and if so, how I can resolve it? I have installed all software updates, etc.

Thanks in advance

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

try fn+FKEY. If this works, there is a checkbox in the Preferences to select how the Fx keys should act.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks that did the trick :) I would never have found that!
    Thanks again

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

you're welcome. I actually also had to ask on this forum when I got my MBP.

5. donbenjy macrumors 6502

if you want to set it back to the old way, hold option + f5 (keyboard backlight) (+ maybe fn if you need to), or open System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse

Then click the Keyboard tab at the top, and uncheck "Use all F1, F2 etc keys..." and it should operate as normal :) I don't know why anyone would want to set it to that, Apple have almost nailed the Fkeys with the unibodies..they just seem to have forgotten about Spaces, as that's the only one I have to use fn for, yet I can access exposé via F3 or swiping up, which seems kinda odd to have two ways of doing it when I can't get to spaces that rapidly!