Function Keys Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uplusd, Apr 30, 2008.

?

What setting for your function keys?

1. Software features (use as standard function keys)

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Hardware features (volume, brightness, keyboard backlight)

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Do you guys have your function keys set to "use as standard function keys" or do you have them set to the hardware features (volume, brightness, etc.)?

2. tphan macrumors newbie

Hardware feature is much better, rarely ever use function keys.

3. mrtekkid macrumors regular

agreed.... i cant remember the last time i have had to hit the function button along with one of my function keys.... unless the intended command was F5 to refresh a web page....

hardware keys ftw

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Agreed. Hardware functions much more convenient.

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Definitely use the hardware functions the most, but wish I didn't have to hold Fn to use Expose or the overall spaces view. The hardware function on those is keyboard brightness which I rarely adjust, so I'd rather use them as standard function keys.

Anyone know how I can switch that? I have an approx 2 yr old MBP.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

7. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Software for me. The only hardware functions that I use are F5 for reload and F6 to get to the address bar. So, I don't mind holding Fn for those.

Now, in Windows, it's the Hardware keys since Alt/Opt-F4 closes windows. Use that all the time, just like Cmd-W/Q in OSX.

8. phaseIV macrumors newbie

Both actually. :)

Using the application KeyRemap4MacBook I can use the audio buttons (F3-F5) and the Spaces/Expose keys (F8-F11) simultaneously.
    It won't work for brightness controls, but having the above options available as single keystrokes makes me a happy MBP user. :D

9. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I guess because I have such an old school keyboard layout, I don't use the Fn key for any Fn function. I have my Fn key used for expose all windows, my f12 key for dashboard, and my f11 for show desktop. When I want to refresh a website I just hit :apple: R.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The thing is I use Expose, dashboard, etc a lot more than volume controls, media keys, so software keys are more logical. As for in Windows same thing.

11. mcbeej macrumors member

I flip between both settings continuously - for general use, it's nice to have volume/brightness etc under one key press, but when working in applications I usually have a lot of custom key commands on the function keys which I'm using a lot.

So it depends on what I'm doing which setting I''ll be using...

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. mr.light macrumors 6502

I've never really seen the need for function keys. Hardware controls seems the most useful function for them though.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Both, depending on which machine I am using to run whichever apps I need at the time for which ever project that needs to get done.